Drain and Refill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't access the only block drain on my 96 Camry 4-Cyl. Will draining the Rad. as much as possible and then refill be OK? I'am using the 'regular' green antifreeze.

Thanks for 'hands-on' replys Gents.

When was the last time the coolant was replaced? Was it a full flush or D&R? What is the condition of the current coolant? I would check your owners manual because I do THINK that the "regular green" is NOT safe for the seals and gaskets in the Toyota cooling system...double check on that though.

I do radiator drain & refill once a year on my Toyota (since new), just so I wont ever have to do a complete flush of the system.

I have just done it in my 2000 Camry. You need a floor jack and jack stand to lift the front of the car. For Camry you can use 2 Ton. The block drain plug is located slightly towards the passenger side on the back of the block facing the firewall. There is a nipple where you can attach a 5/16" clear tube to direct the flow to minimize spillage. It took about 30 minutes to drain completely. This is in addition to the radiator drain hole. It replaces around 6 quart of fluid which is close to all of them. I should have taken off the radiator hoses to get a complete drain but I forgot.

The job was very easy if you have the right tool. I was doing it together with the differential (yes 5S-FE Toyota engine has it) oil change which I think nobody has ever changed.

I hope this help.

Go to Prestone.com for a neat little "how-to" video on drain/fill of the radiator. It only discusses draining the radiator... not the block. It says to: drain, fill with water and their flush (of course), run to op temp with heater on high, drain, refill with water, run again, drain, refill with final mix, then run and check levels.

Running to op temp will circulate to help complete the "flush" part of your drain and fill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back