Douglas Touring Radials

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's about time to replace the tires on my wifes '01 Park Avenue. Wally World's Douglas Touring Radials look like a great buy with an 80,000 mile lifetime, "A" traction rating, etc. Anyone have experience with these? The only time I had Douglas the sidewalls seemed very weak and the car handled sloppy, so I'm a bit skeptical.
Thanks for your comments.

quote:

Originally posted by 3putter:
It's about time to replace the tires on my wifes '01 Park Avenue. Wally World's Douglas Touring Radials look like a great buy with an 80,000 mile lifetime, "A" traction rating, etc. Anyone have experience with these? The only time I had Douglas the sidewalls seemed very weak and the car handled sloppy, so I'm a bit skeptical.
Thanks for your comments.

If handling is even a concern these high mileage tires whether premium brand or disocunt brand typically use a harder rubber hence less grip but longer life. A Park Ave. will push tires if slightly pushed since the suspension is designed for comfort and not handling.

I'd highly recommend spending the extra few bucks for the Viva Touring or Michelin symmetry. The Douglas touring tires are a very hard rubber with much less traction. The thread design is good, but the sipes are only half tread depth. So when your tires are half worn, you lose all your sipes and winter traction.

-T

If TireRack is right and your tire size is P225-60R16, I'd recommend the Falken Ziex ZE-512. Maybe a little on the sporty side for such a big car but we have these on our Avalon... A lot better than the Michelin Energy MXV4s that came with it in every aspect. Sears sells them. Try and talk the price down. Go to Discounttiredirect.com, look up the tire size, find the falkens, print out the price and bring it to them and they should beat that price. Pretty cool...

If you're looking for more of a touring tire (what would probably better suit the Avalon) with an even cheaper price... Kuhmo Ecsta HP4 716. Tire rack lists them at 54 bucks a tire. Print that price out and some tire place should beat it. Another one is the Yokohama Avid Touring. Both are very good tires that don't break the bank. If you want a brand name with a more familier name, go with the BfGoodrich Traction T/A T.... its a very good tire.

A tire that we've used that I know is good is the Bridgestone Turanza LS-T. Its a little pricer but they were nice! Your tire size has many options (117 according to tire rack). Good luck with the tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back