DOT 3 brake fluid shelf life

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found 3 bottles of unopened DOT 3 brake fluid in the basement this past weekend. I'm guessing it's at least 8 or 9 years old.

Would this stuff be any good at this point, or is it heading for the hazardous waste depot?

Well, I wouldn't be putting something that old in my car. Even a sealed plastic container is capable of absorbing some moisture, especially in a damp basement.

For $5, you can replace all 3 bottles with new.

I would just take it to the auto parts store, tell them it is 8-9 years old, they will look at you funny (because they don't know why you wouldn't use the brake fluid), ask them to dispose of it, and then they will procede to #@$%! up their own vehicle because they will think they got a free score on brake fluid.

PM undummy, he might buy it from you!
laugh.gif

Last edited:
No, my refractometer is broken. If the moisture level can be tested, there would be no reason not to use it if it was moisture free.

BTW, why would I buy it? I've mentioned enough times that I only use fresh brake fluid from busy stores. This is why I don't care if it is in a can or bottle. And, why I recommend buying fluid from your local autoparts stores vs. unknown dusty aged fluid from online stores. Brake fluid isn't wine.

I'm also the one pushing dot4 when dot3 is needed and why I didn't even notice this thread. I'm for eliminating the inferior dot3 spec.

Quote:

BTW, why would I buy it?

Because you don't "buy" that plastic bottles are permeable, so where would the moisture come from? From the seal on the top? Using your former argument, if the seals aren't leaking, then there is no way that moisture could get in there? Why would you even bother testing the fluid for moisture?

All plastics have a " Moisture Vapor Transmission Rate" (MVTR). This is a fact and should not be in dispute. However, I would expect that it would take at least a decade for enough water to permeate a sealed plastic container of brake fluid to really matter. At just few bucks per bottle, I think that unDummy's strategy is typically the way to go.

Can the same be said for cans of ATE Super Blue? I have one sealed can that is 2 years old, and another sealed can that I bought last week. Are both equally as good?

Quote:

Can the same be said for cans of ATE Super Blue? I have one sealed can that is 2 years old, and another sealed can that I bought last week. Are both equally as good?

I wouldn't be too concerned if the seal is unbroken. Unless you live in an incredibly humid area the fluid should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back