Dot 1717 Cooper AT3

4 :
30 x 9.5 x 15
About 25k miles, run 41 to 50 psi 90% highway
Rotated every 5k or less.
One tire is dot 0517

Plenty of tread left, but loud.

All 4 tires show exact same issue on whitewall lettering, on the 3. White mounted Facing in

One tire has a small crack through 'cooper' whitewall.
Sides exposed to sunlight look near perfect.

Attachments

• 20220716_121402.jpg
    20220716_121402.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220716_121355.jpg
    20220716_121355.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220717_165507.jpg
    20220717_165507.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 18
That doesn't look good on a 5 year old tire. I think the construction on the whitewall/letter side is done differently during layup and there was obviously some integrity issues on this one.

That doesn't look good on a 5 year old tire. I think the construction on the whitewall/letter side is done differently during layup and there was obviously some integrity issues on this one.
Every Cooper tire I have owned cracked before being five years old. This doesn't surprise me at all.

Goodyear took Cooper under their umbrella in 2021 so this tire was produced back in 2017 at the Cooper facility in Texarkana, Arkansas. I don't know if Goodyear's ownership will improve anything but I think Cooper was a relatively average product historically. Photos such as this one do not inspire confidence in the brand.

I bought one set of Coopers in my lifetime. They were all so out of round that when on a lift, you could see the egg shape as the tires rotated. Had them removed. I won't buy another set.

I bought one set of Coopers in my lifetime. They were all so out of round that when on a lift, you could see the egg shape as the tires rotated. Had them removed. I won't buy another set.
My last set of Cooper all terrain tires had the off road traction of a highway tire with the on road noise of a mud tire. Replaced them with some Goodyear Silent Armors(now the Adventure AT) factory take offs and it was an all around improvement. I’ve not purchased a set of Coopers since.

Not surprisingly the Cooper AT3 was the tire we saw the most complaints out of at the dealership. Usually noise, sometimes wet weather performance too. I do think their Hts3 and CS5 tires are quite good.

My AT3 were great until about 40k and they just got unreasonably loud. Cupped to hell.

Alignment was still perfect when I put the Yokohamas on so 🤷

Your avatar says california, and if that is SOUTHERN CA, then 5 years might be the length of time to start showing age related issues - just before they start to fail. Northern CA would be longer.

Southern, but coastal, meaning cooler, and more overcast days.

I thought it strange all 4 tires show exact same issue in exact same place.

And had i not been doing a rotation and brake tune, id be unaware of this visual deterioration.

The sides facing out look fine

My Cooper AT3 4S were perfect up to 28000 miles. Wouldnt pass inspection and wet grip was gone as was most of the tread. Tires rotated every 6000 miles and air pressure meticulously maintained. So much for the 65000 mile warranty.

My Cooper AT3 4S were perfect up to 28000 miles. Wouldnt pass inspection and wet grip was gone as was most of the tread. Tires rotated every 6000 miles and air pressure meticulously maintained. So much for the 65000 mile warranty.
Mine were at 45k and still had 6-7/32. Wet, sand, and gravel traction were still ok.

But they cupped all to hell and got ridiculously loud. Alignment was good so IDK

Back