doorbell transformers

I am replacing my 33 year old doorbell transformer, not because it's bad, but because it doesn't have enough power to work with the ring doorbell I am installing. The replacement transformer from Lowe's has 3 voltages available I think 9, 16, and 24 depending on how you wire it. I need 16v, but the old transformer (5 VAC) also had my address light box connected to it.

My question is can I utilize the 16VAC terminals AND also the 9 VAC terminals at the same time so I can keep the address lights on?

You're running separate wires for the light and doorbell? Seems like you should be able to do what you want. Check the terminals with a volt meter to be sure. I also upgraded my transformer for a doorbell camera. My issue was the doorbell camera worked fine but there wasn't enough juice to ring my fancy doorbell in the house.

I am replacing my 33 year old doorbell transformer, not because it's bad, but because it doesn't have enough power to work with the ring doorbell I am installing. The replacement transformer from Lowe's has 3 voltages available I think 9, 16, and 24 depending on how you wire it. I need 16v, but the old transformer (5 VAC) also had my address light box connected to it.

My question is can I utilize the 16VAC terminals AND also the 9 VAC terminals at the same time so I can keep the address lights on?
Wow, just when I thought I saw it all, I never ran into this before and I changed out a lot of transformers for the higher voltage.
Ummm .. I dont know the answer but I wonder if you have the room on the box to just add in another transformer?

Not sure of your electric knowledge but you could always get a short piece of Romex wire and connect/run a 120 line from the old box housing the transformer to a new box right next to it and mount the new transformer onto that box leaving your old transformer for the address light.

Yes separate wires for doorbell and address lights...they were just twisted together on the old transformer. I think the higher voltage will burn out the lights.

I would rather not run two transformers, but if I must I guess I can change the bulbs to a higher voltage or use LEDs.

Yes separate wires for doorbell and address lights...they were just twisted together on the old transformer. I think the higher voltage will burn out the lights.

I would rather not run two transformers, but if I must I guess I can change the bulbs to a higher voltage or use LEDs.
Two transformers seems the easiest and best way. Why the hesitation?

Back