Don't use Brake Cleaner on Transmission Pan?

I am reviewing information in ISTA, and I found this saying not to use any cleaner on the inside of the pan.

I am wondering why that might be? I thought brake fluid evaporated? I am not a know it all, I just don't understand their warning.

1709875058904.jpg

This is a bit like headlines about legislation these days.

It says to not degrease with a cleaning agent. I can only suspect they're worried about residue from engine degreaser or 409 or whatever else someone might use as a cleaning agent. Diesel tends to be oily but is a common degreaser.

The "Don't Say Brake Cleaner" bill......

I clean it really well with Shop towels then spray it down with either brake parts cleaner and make sure its completely dry, along with using a new shop towels to see if it wipes clean or not. never ever had any issues.

If it's dry I don't see a problem.

It does bug me when someone sprays the flange of an open differential or cylinder head with the valve cover off. Brake cleaner is anti-oil and if you mix some in with some existing oil it's part of it now, and it's degraded. A little film of (whatever) isn't as bad, though we as people are bothered by it because it's "dirty."

Brake clean, wipe out with towels, brake clean, and then compressed air. No more towels. You don’t want any lint (or anything) in the pan before reassembling.
Can I just wipe it with a clean microfiber towel? I don't have compresses air

I am reviewing information in ISTA, and I found this saying not to use any cleaner on the inside of the pan.

I am wondering why that might be? I thought brake fluid evaporated? I am not a know it all, I just don't understand their warning.

View attachment 207174
Perhaps BMW said this because they don't want risk containments getting introduced to the pan as you attempt to degrease it. Most people will use brake cleaner and then wipe it out with something. What something are they using? Is it clean? Will it remain intact? Better to just say "don't clean it". No harm can be done.

I use a paint prep product and a paper towel. If it leaves a fender clean enough for paint, it will clean a transmission pan just fine. A can of brake cleaner splatters all over the place.

So, do I need to use any cleaner or will just wiping it dry remove everything?

Back