Dont see much talk about AC Delco oil...

Used to hear quite a lot of praise back in the day for Motorcraft, but I understand that for the price point, you can get a full synthetic. What I don't or have ever really heard about on this awesome site is AC Delco oil. What gives? Same deal as Motorcraft? Price issue? Mediocre oil? Availability outside of the dealer? Come to think of it, I see Motorcraft on the shelves but can't recall ever seeing AC Delco on a shelf outside of a GM parts department. 🤔

Used to hear quite a lot of praise back in the day for Motorcraft, but I understand that for the price point, you can get a full synthetic. What I don't or have ever really heard about on this awesome site is AC Delco oil. What gives? Same deal as Motorcraft? Price issue? Mediocre oil? Availability outside of the dealer? Come to think of it, I see Motorcraft on the shelves but can't recall ever seeing AC Delco on a shelf outside of a GM parts department. 🤔
It’s Mobil 1 or used to be

My local auto parts store has the full line of AC Delco lubricants, so yes, if an independent chain decides to do it, they can. I buy my Dex 6 and Auto-Trac transfer case fluid from them. I don’t bother with their motor oil.

Last edited:
Becuase you have to go out of your way to get it and online it's no value and I'd presume it's the same buying it from the dealer, and it's probably more similar to the entry level Mobil products, so it's no better than just getting Dexos rated Supertech or whatever the cheapest Dexos oil you can find is but it is certainly more expensive and cumbersome to obtain.

I don't recall a time when AC Delco oil was ever Mobil 1 (especially since the dealerships sell Mobil 1 along side it at a higher price)...I do believe that many GM dealerships use Mobil Oil lubricants and that AC Delco Full Synthetic is probably Mobil Super Full Synthetic or a similar concoction...

Good luck with your choice

Bill

My guess is that display on dealerships' shelves is what ACDelco oil is really for. They tap the bulk drums for most customers.
So labeled trans fluids, door hinge lube and other specialty lubes are used for a while then comfort sets in with aftermarket suppliers.

A car company has to have available fluids for remote dealerships; if only to be able to say, "We can service your vehicle" and, "We use only the best".
Actually, since the volume of sales is likely abysmally low, a bottling run of any house branded fluid requires more scheduling. The industry probably bottles and sells more "Car Quest" branded fluids than AC Delco.

Another sporting guess I'll make is that the confusion over new transmission fluids and various coolants result in those two product classifications accounting for the vast majority of 'car company fluid' sales.

We have lots of GM rewards points so I basically get it for free now. Once the points are gone I'll buy something else.

I’m lucky to be friends with the local mechanic and he buys it from the dealership for me and they deliver it. He uses it all the time when a newer gm vehicle comes in for a service to avoid the hassle with a warranty claim if the customer has one. I have been using it since the dexos requirement came out and no issues. Seems like good oil and I get it cheap. But yes it can be hard to obtain unless you live close to a dealer or order it online.

Back