Don't forget to remove your pictures from cloud...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
We are arguing semantics though. It's like arguing between storing passwords as plaintext vs encrypted, yes they are both still passwords but which one means "secure" to you?

It may well be simple protection, but it was not cracked by someone sitting at their computer guessing - and the same goes with WEP. Additional security comes from the common sense of the user AND availability from the hosts (which is provided in Apple's software). Fact of the matter is, ANY security can be broken, and that is something that needs to be understood.

Security to me is having something that can't be broken into without a decent amount of effort and having multiple locks to go through at that. Hence why any big corp uses multiple steps to gain access to the network.

Again, you don't think that the brute force app did a lot of work to crack whatever credentials were needed to get those pictures?

Big corporations tend to hide behind firewalls and network credentials. I don't have to provide 20 credentials every time I access one of our dev servers. Point being, it's typically a SINGLE login that is verified each time I access something - just like an account for iTunes, and photostream - it's a single login.

Just to avoid future argument, the point that I am pretty sure you would agree on is the one I made in the beginning. If you put private pictures out there, you are asking for trouble, and that is part of the agreement that Apple, MS, and every other company makes you accept in order to cover their arses. YOU are the sole responsibility of what information/photos/videos are out there. YOU are supposed to protect yourself. They are providing a service and do NOT guarantee that no one is sitting in their basement trying to steal it. Knowledge is a wonderful thing when used properly (not taking a shot at you there), but then we get this sort of thing where people are shocked that their photos are in a cloud and were stolen. DURRRRRR.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Ignorance is no defense or excuse for getting hacked.

In what universe is getting hacked something that demands a defense or excuse?

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
kinda wish I hadn't seen Kate, it ruined her for me.

If it helps, a bunch of the pictures that were supposedly her weren't really.

No these were her, her face was in most of them. For a supermodel, she is on the larger side of things, and not in the area she is known for.

If you upload something to a cloud service hosted by a reputable company, you should expect your files will be secure.

Companies are utilizing cloud services for all kind of financial and proprietary information, done properly the information should be encrypted and properly secured.

Originally Posted By: lugNutz

It may well be simple protection, but it was not cracked by someone sitting at their computer guessing - and the same goes with WEP. Additional security comes from the common sense of the user AND availability from the hosts (which is provided in Apple's software). Fact of the matter is, ANY security can be broken, and that is something that needs to be understood.

That is my point and yours we will both agree on. However I was under the impression from what I've read they were already deep into this when they stole the list of e-mail addresses and passwords from apple's servers. I don't think much brute force was needed which leads me question why wasn't the info encrypted in storage in the first place.

Originally Posted By: lugNutz

Again, you don't think that the brute force app did a lot of work to crack whatever credentials were needed to get those pictures?

Big corporations tend to hide behind firewalls and network credentials. I don't have to provide 20 credentials every time I access one of our dev servers. Point being, it's typically a SINGLE login that is verified each time I access something - just like an account for iTunes, and photostream - it's a single login.

Just to avoid future argument, the point that I am pretty sure you would agree on is the one I made in the beginning. If you put private pictures out there, you are asking for trouble, and that is part of the agreement that Apple, MS, and every other company makes you accept in order to cover their arses. YOU are the sole responsibility of what information/photos/videos are out there. YOU are supposed to protect yourself. They are providing a service and do NOT guarantee that no one is sitting in their basement trying to steal it. Knowledge is a wonderful thing when used properly (not taking a shot at you there), but then we get this sort of thing where people are shocked that their photos are in a cloud and were stolen. DURRRRRR.

I do agree and no argument is needed.

However the point I was making is big corporate networks also have a pyhsical layer of security the second you plug in a network cable. If you are not allowed on the network the attack stops right there. I don't see why in this day & age it can't be locked to your physical IMEI granted I am sure there are reason I can't think of right now.

To me it just seems the guys running the security show are getting caught with their pants down way to often.

We are both in agreement it was stupid to think your "nudes" were safe to begin with anywhere other than potentially a Polaroid.

Last edited:
That is my point and yours we will both agree on. However I was under the impression from what I've read they were already deep into this when they stole the list of e-mail addresses and passwords from apple's servers. I don't think much brute force was needed which leads me question why wasn't the info encrypted in storage in the first place.

You may be correct, but encryption is just a fancy word that makes people sleep better at night. All forms of encryption can be compromised, which is what I was trying to point out. The better ones just take longer, but are NOT impossible.

I do agree and no argument is needed.

However the point I was making is big corporate networks also have a pyhsical layer of security the second you plug in a network cable. If you are not allowed on the network the attack stops right there.

Just a note here, all you have to do is be able to "see" the network devices (switches, routers, gateways, etc.)in order to eventually gain access to a network -- assuming you know what you are doing. That's how such things as WiFi hacks work. There is no need for authentication prior to compromise.

I don't see why in this day & age it can't be locked to your physical IMEI granted I am sure there are reason I can't think of right now.

IMO, Too much work and money to budget for that project. Not including additional collaboration with cellular providers than they want to deal with.

We are both in agreement it was stupid to think your "nudes" were safe to begin with

Stupid for THEM, LOL!

What are the chances the hackers infected the zip file and are building a huge bot net off downloads of the zip as we speak?

In the Computer Section I said a long time ago that I would not store my files in the 'cloud' and I would store everything on external hard drives and blu-ray disks. Not that I have anything to hide but I have never trusted online storage. Of course all of the super computer experts there in the Computer Section thought they knew better than me.

We are seeing continual attacks online directed against various banks, store chains, etc., and repeated attacks on online storage of various types. The list of compromised data grows larger every day-millions of people if not billions have been affected. Somehow somebody apparently penetrated Apple iCloud security to get those photographs and there are claims that 600 million iPhones are insecure. It goes on and on.

Looks like the chickens are coming home to roost.

"The cloud" doesn't really mean anything.

It is digital info, stored 'somewhere'; no one has personal info stored somewhere?

Are Target and HD customers similarly ignorant for storing their CC info with a vendor? Yes, only if they use weak passwords to allow its use.

Last edited:
Everybody knows that the 'cloud' is digital information stored somewhere on server computers. And yes, people have personal information stored on computers. But that data must be secure and it is going way beyond the mere insecurity of passwords. Sure, having a strong password and a different one for each online site will help. But passwords alone are not the only problem.

I was told by a security supervisor at the state hospital that all patient files are stored in folders and locked in file cabinets and locked in secure storage rooms. To insure patient privacy no information was stored on computers anywhere.

Now we are going to have patient information stored on very insecure government computers.

So I say again, the chickens are coming home to roost.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: javacontour
Ignorance is no defense or excuse for getting hacked.

In what universe is getting hacked something that demands a defense or excuse?

I'm speaking of the ignorance on display when I can still find open wifi routers driving through a neighborhood. Some folks do their banking and other sensitive things on such networks and wonder why they are "victims."

They don't understand the technology and are too proud or too cheap to get help. That's the ignorance I'm saying is not an excuse.

Bringing up more examples is not the same thing as explaining your reasoning.

Also, doubling down on your "ignorance is no excuse" line is... shall we say, a bit striking given your claim that no one is blaming the victim.

Do we get an explanation or not?

I do wonder how anybody would actually store photos of themselves that can be used against them online. Their husbands/boyfriends/whatever are going to see them naked, so why do they need to document it by taking photos with their iPhones and storing those photos online? And they probably have weak passwords.

But anybody who thinks that is the end of all of this needs to consider a few things. Supposedly over 1 billion user names and passwords in the hands of Russian hackers. Millions of customer credit card information and debit card information stolen at Target. Just recently Home Depot. Banks hacked. And there is an interesting article at Threatpost about a possible backdoor in iPhones.

I like computers. I like the internet. But if computers cannot be secured we need to rethink some things. I would prefer my patient information being in a folder in a locked file cabinet in a locked storage room. Not on a probably insecure IRS computer. If we as a society are going to depend so much on computers, there has to be much better security. Because the current security is laughable.

There was a time when it took major effort to break into a bank. To say nothing about penetrating the security of the bank vault. Now somebody can break into a bank using a keyboard while they maybe sit in their pajamas typing away.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
I do wonder how anybody would actually store photos of themselves that can be used against them online. Their husbands/boyfriends/whatever are going to see them naked, so why do they need to document it by taking photos with their iPhones and storing those photos online? And they probably have weak passwords.

None of your business or anyone else's. That's the point.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

None of your business or anyone else's. That's the point.

Correct, that IS the point -- Not disagreeing with you there. BUT, that's where common-sense comes in to play. Speaking directly regarding celebrities, they are in the public eye and they know it. They know there is money out there to be paid for materials such as what started this thread. This whole hacking [censored] is and will remain a real thing, and they should take a little more precaution knowing what kind of people are out there. Regardless of any moral standards, they shouldn't whine about it when someone steals it, given that they are targets, if they don't take precaution. JMO.

But anybody who thinks that is the end of all of this needs to consider a few things. Supposedly over 1 billion user names and passwords in the hands of Russian hackers. Millions of customer credit card information and debit card information stolen at Target. Just recently Home Depot. Banks hacked. And there is an interesting article at Threatpost about a possible backdoor in iPhones.

I like computers. I like the internet. But if computers cannot be secured we need to rethink some things. I would prefer my patient information being in a folder in a locked file cabinet in a locked storage room. Not on a probably insecure IRS computer. If we as a society are going to depend so much on computers, there has to be much better security. Because the current security is laughable.

There was a time when it took major effort to break into a bank. To say nothing about penetrating the security of the bank vault. Now somebody can break into a bank using a keyboard while they maybe sit in their pajamas typing away.

Actually Mystic the hackers found the pics even though they had been deleted from the computer and the cloud,yet somehow the files were still found.

So for those who think simply deleting any type of file or picture means actual erasure will be surprised to know that even deleted files leave an imprint that hackers/law enforcement can apparently bring back from the netherworld called delete.
Keep that in mind if you've got something you want to hide,and keep hidden.

There have been so many security issues recently, ranging from Target Stores to iPhones to Home Depot to banks, on and on and on, that we need a serious discussion on security.

A decent bank and certainly a major bank is going to have encryption. And major banks have been broken into by hackers and I am not just talking about weak passwords on the part of one customer.

We certainly need to use the credit card technology they already have in Europe.

Anybody who thinks this is just a weak password issue or thinks this is just a Windows or just a Linux or just an Apple problem is just plain wrong.

'Heartbleed' is STILL being used to break into Linux servers that have not had proper security upgrades. There are serious questions that have been raised about iPhone security and some 600 million people I think could be affected. There was an undiscovered hole in IE for something like 13 years.

It is kind of obvious that we have very sloppy security-on the part of IT people, programmers, computer hardware and software people, everybody.

The one thing ordinary people can do is have very good passwords but all of this is not just a password issue.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
What part of "cloud" (whether it be Google, Apple, Microsoft, Photobucket, Facebook, etc.) don't people understand? When your data is on anything other than a powered-down drive sitting in a locked compartment, there is the potential for it to be compromised.

Yes, I do use a little bit of cloud storage. No, I don't use it for anything I wouldn't mind my wife, pastor, and every criminal in the world seeing. Come on- blackmail me with pictures of cut-open oil filters. I dare ya. :p

+1. Using this to blame Apple is as silly as it gets. I will wager that even if normalized to the number of units sold, the amountof data taken from Apple systems is far less than from MS given their propensity to virii, trojans, etc.

You cant stop malicious people and you cant fix stupid either...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back