Dont buy the hype about synthetic and clean your air filter with compreesed air

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here this is amazing how some one that has no clue about car maintanance can writte an article about it

Here is a little piece of it

"Filter fantasy. There are a plethora of filters -- oil, air, fuel, transmission -- on modern vehicles, and they all need replacing at some time or another. But not at every oil-change interval. Air filters often can be blown clean with compressed air and then replaced at every other oil change. Check the owner's manual for recommended replacement intervals for all filters."

The link to the article is here

OIL and filter HYPE

I like the part about the "chassis" not needing lubrication. Weeel that's because when the grease that's in there runs out or is contaminated, it's curtains for the component. Some seem to hold out for a long time . . . some don't. And you don't have a choice as to whether to service it or not. I would gladly put zerks in everything if it didn't mean drilling/tapping. Maybe if I blow the chassis with compressed air it will last longer.

he is correct about Greasy kids' stuff

he is correct about Un-classy chassis

he is correct about Looney tune-ups

he is partly correct about Filter fantasy

let me explain about filters. you dont want to use compressed air to clean air filters.

also most people change their oil filters way too often. most oil filters only need to be changed every 10-20K miles. just look in the owners manual.

he is correct about Transmission-friction fiction

he is correct about Hot flushes

he is correct about Injection deception

he is correct about Warranty validity

so we have 7 out of 8 that are correct and 1 that is partly correct and partly wrong.

quote:

Flushing the automatic transmission system also is often recommended by service centers as a routine maintenance item. But most manufacturers say it's not needed until at least 60,000 miles -- if then. If your transmission has a filter, check the owner's manual for when it should be replaced.

lol.gif

I think this guy must work for Aamco or something. Fluid in modern PWM TCC transmissions is worked harder than ever. Run it beyond 60k miles, but make sure you budget for a rebuild once you get over 100k miles.

Most of his advice is pretty good for a person who only keeps their cars for a couple years.

"Greasy kids' stuff. Unless your owner's manual calls for it, don't change every 3,000 miles. Also, don't waste money on more expensive synthetic oil unless your car requires it. Use only the grade and quality oil specified in your owner's manual."

True you will probably be OK going by the manufacturer's recommendations, but you could probably save money and have your car last longer with other methods.

"Un-classy chassis. If someone says your chassis needs lubing, check it out before doing anything. Most cars built in the last 10 years don't require lubrication. And if the mechanic says he can put in a fitting so the chassis can be lubed (pumped full of grease), don't fall for it. Adding grease where none is required could lead to problems."

Another half truth. The mechanic wouldn't be adding grease to a component that doesn't need it, he'd be adding it to a component that actually needs it to last longer.

"Filter fantasy. There are a plethora of filters -- oil, air, fuel, transmission -- on modern vehicles, and they all need replacing at some time or another. But not at every oil-change interval. Air filters often can be blown clean with compressed air and then replaced at every other oil change. Check the owner's manual for recommended replacement intervals for all filters."

It sounds like he's saying to blow it out and not replace it, but he really is just saying you don't have to replace it every oil change. This is often true on some cars and conditions.

"Injection deception. Sometimes cleaning fuel injectors means adding a bottle of fluid to the gas tank; other times it's a mechanical procedure involving a sort of pressure cleaning and chemical wash costing $50 and up. Either way, don't do it unless called for by the manufacturer. Few of them do. Gasoline is required to have a certain detergent component that will keep injectors and combustion chambers clean. If your vehicle is running rough, there are likely other causes and injector cleaning isn't likely to help over the long-term."

I agree to stay away from the shop injector cleanings, but fuel injector cleaning is needed, just save some money and do it yourself.

-T

lol.gif

I must have misread. I thought thought the article was titled "How to maintain your leased automobile". If this clown could do math he might be able to calculate how much money I save by doing the opposite of what he says. I have several vehicles, all 10+ years old with 100K+ on them. They all look better than my friends 2-4 yrs old truck who have the "its just a truck attitude." Oh and it sure doesn't cost me a $300+ a month to maintain anything I own.

On the flip side there is A LOT of non gear heads who get taken by stealerships and mechs because they don't know what maintenance their car really needs. This article is probably aimed at people who don't know better, so we should probably leave it for them to absorb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back