Done with expensive cars as daily drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mpvue
Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Thanks!
thumbsup2.gif

Saturn SL-1 & SL-2 or even the SC 1&2 (Super Coupe). Love 'em.

super coupe, hilarious. you made me LOL on that one.

lol.gif
Super slow...
lol.gif
Sports Coupe!

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE

Alot of people down here live in condos so you do not always have that choice as you have to park in assigned spots or your car will be towed away

You're right, I live in a track house with my own garage. No apartment neighbors to ding me up.
But I'd have to say that in a condo/apartment situation, you're gonna KNOW who dinged you up.
Pick your favorite hammer and get even.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: RamFan
Rant warning!
Every week I wash my car and notice a new nick, scratch, or scuff on the car. It's upsetting every week! Not saying I wouldn't be upset if it happened to a 20k forte but when it happens to a 30+k charger it is even more irritating and flat out me off. I always park far away from people when possible but none the less today I noticed a door ding/scuff on the passenger side door. It isn't worth it to have a really nice car just to have it get beat up on a weekly basis. From now on no more performance/muscle/sports/pseudo-sports cars as daily drivers for me. Those will be left as summer weekend warrior garage queens. Nice economy cars for daily drivers from now on. I.e Focus, Cruze, Forte, 3 or 6, etc.

I learned along time ago not to spend a ton of money on cars. when your car gets wrecked, you don't get your the value of it's worth back. You can't avoid the folks out there that put dents in your car.

I think the best/safest parking spot in a public parking space is between 2 luxury 4-door cars, the owners of luxury cars usually more careful opening their doors.

Airlines employees all understand the concept of an "airport car"...reasonable car that you don't mind leaving in a parking garage 50+% of the time...

time to get an airport car...guess which one is my airport car?

;-)

Originally Posted By: Astro14

time to get an airport car...guess which one is my airport car?

;-)

The Packard right?

I'm slowly learning this but I'm retentive enough that even scuff on a beater bothers me.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
...time to get an airport car...guess which one is my airport car?

;-)

I'm guessing the Packard, it is the oldest after all
lol.gif

But seriously, even though every ding on my Mazda 3 irritates me, especially after a wash, I know full well that this is my workhorse and these things happen when you have kids and the car is used for every single errand, as a moving van and a family hauler. I don't even want to mention how my interior looks like, but I good detail will have it looking very good again.

Sure, I try to minimize the damage. I don't park near the mall entrance, my kids don't eat "wet" food in the car and I give it a wash every once in a while.

But stuff just happens no matter how careful you are. Not too long ago my 2-year old boy grabbed a stone and threw it up in the air, guess where it landed? On the roof of my car, I actually should be thankful that it was my car and not neighbor’s. Or another time, when my daughter had her shoes covered in mud and we did not catch it… yep, the front seat got a nice coat.

In the end, I try to be careful and I do try to kepp my car looking good, but I don't loose sleep over stuff like that anymore, it's just a car and my #1 priority is keeping the car in good mechanical shape, external appearance is secondary.

It's life - everything, including us, get scratched, used up and depreciated. A dent on a car is not something that I, sometimes unsuccessfully, try to not get worked up about.

The sad thing is it's just a car. You've got to remember they're just things.

The problem for me is I worked hard for the money to have my toys. So I used to get all worked up about it.

But I'm trying hard to get over that, and thus enjoy them more instead of being afraid to drive in public.

A parking lot ding, as horrible as it is when you randomly find it, means so little in your life, that if you actually get upset, and vow never to use your car again because it might get damaged usually means you have other issues going on inside your head, and are using your car as a reason to vent them.

I have had a mixture of nice cars, and normal cars, plus really nice motorcycles, and average motorcycles, and with the sole exception of watching a fat drunk skank punch the windscreen on my Pacific Coast, and crack it, I have never gotten upset about any parking lot marks that any of my vehicles have picked up over the years.

My gf, on the other hand, goes off in a tirade every single time a new mark shows up on one of her vehicles. Acts as if it was an intentional affront to her very being. I can understand being upset, but the anger that she generates over the issue is at times over the top.

So I usually ask her if she would have preferred if the person had broken her window, and stolen all the contents of her car, to which she normally says no, but that's not her point.

Not much you can do.

If you don't want to drive a nice car because other people are careless, what's the point of owning a nice car?

BC.

It's cheaper to buy a $35000 car and pay several hundred bucks to fix the occasional scratches and dings, than to buy a $35000 car and a $5000 beater car.

as long as the rust buckets are safe. Not worth risking your personal safety to drive a daily turd.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
... and with the sole exception of watching a fat drunk skank punch the windscreen on my Pacific Coast, and crack it, I have never gotten upset about any parking lot marks...

Ooooh, do tell! Context and your reaction please.

Meh why worry? My friend used to take his new Ferrari's off roading and went hunting in them.

To me an AWD Mercedes = a good job site car in mud, which Mercedes does test for. You can also carry 2x4's in them, and put quite a lot of weight in the trunk.

They are cars use them, they all end up in the scrap yard eventually.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I always park at the very end of a parking row - usually that involves parking
at the outer edge of a parking lot. I NEVER park in between cars.

Me too. Never cross spaces though.

Don't know about this one. I initially said the same thing but found that they couldn't really pop dings and such out on rear fenders and such one all aluminum bodies.

:p

Don't want to steal the thread, but I can make a quick description:

~2am on an October night, back in '06, living in an apartment that overlooks the parking lot. I always parked under my window, and I was right on the second floor.

Woken up by yelling and screaming, so I looked out the window.
Say a bunch of teenagers jumping over the fence into the pool area. That's when the yelling and screaming FDS run up to the fence, try to climb over (maybe a 4 foot fence), fail, and continue to yell obscenities at the kids, who taunted her for a while, and continued on with their lives.

As she was turning around to head back from which she came, she walked between my bike, and the Ford Ranger pickup parked next to it, and then started pounding the [censored] out of the truck, and finishing with putting her arm through the windshield on my bike, which caused me to start yelling at her. She took off running.

Long story short, cops were called, they asked me how much I had to drink that night, and my response was "I haven't had anything to drink since about '95". Turn out they broke her tail light on her truck when she nearly ran them over in the parking lot when she was backing up in a drunken stupor. So she couldn't get them, and took it out on my bike, and the guy's pickup next to me.

She got to go for a drive that night to the drunk tank.

BC.

A guy at work bought a 11 Impala a few weeks ago. Already driving his old Malibu. He said within 2 days already had scratches on the hood from our parking lot. Probably explains all the scratches on mine. Well we do work in a place with over 1k women lucky if you make it out of the parking lot alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back