Dollar General Motor Oil Lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody goes to Dollar General for non-detergent or vintage car oil. The people who are going to be screwed are the mothers of five whose car uses oil and picks a couple of quarts up there while she's shopping for other stuff. She won't know [censored] from shinola. So you guys can do this buyer beware stuff, but at the end of the day it's a screw-over job. This isn't clogging any court.

That comedic article says this:

"Dollar General engages in the unfair, unlawful, deceptive and fraudulent practice of marketing, selling and causing to be manufactured, obsolete motor oil without adequately warning that its product is unsuitable for, and can harm, the vehicles driven by the overwhelming majority of Dollar General's customers (and the public at large)," Deck's complaint states.

There is NOTHING deceptive,unfair,unlawful,or fraudulent whatsoever about that oil or Dollar General selling it. READ THE LABEL PEOPLE,READ!!!! If that same shopper walks into Autozone and buys a low or non detergent mono grade 60wt racing oil,are they just supposed to sue Autozone? Good God!!

Originally Posted By: Garak
The real issue is can Dollar General not get a case or two of Formula Shell and put a few bottles on the shelf for people to use as top up?

Dollar General is not in the business of providing quality top up oils. They are in the business of selling what sells. Toothpaste, Grape juice, whatever. If that sells because it the cheapest then they will restock it. For better or worse.

I absolutely agree, but I don't have to like it.
wink.gif
I'm sure they can get Formula Shell or something similarly approved at a price that's appropriate for their target market, along with keeping their margins where they want them.

From my perspective, if a store can't be trusted to sell a motor oil without me reading the fine print, I'm sure as heck not going to buy toothpaste or grape juice from them, either. Some of the garbage that similar stores have been selling in Canada over the years makes non-certified (or barely spec) motor oil pale in comparison.

Hello Everyone,
First let me start by saying I have nothing against Dollar General and have no axe to grind, I do not care to take the time to shop much and my local Dollar General is actually one of my favorite places to go when I do so.
I agree with some comments that we do not need mindless people wondering around who cannot make decisions and fend for themselves however do not be fooled consumers do need protection and when in doubt the service provider being company, business etc. is and should always be more on the hook for a job or decision not done right, someone maybe not all at Dollar General knew exactly what they were doing and I am stunned Dollar General let it get this far I actually saw it on Good morning America unbelievable!. Dollar General knew full well not so many people would or should need this oil and also the placing was deceptive shame on them. Just my two cents.
TOTO.

You see, that's why I'm conflicted. API, ILSAC, ACEA, and OEMs spend a great deal of effort coming up with oil certifications. OEMs print right in the manuals what you should buy. Certifying bodies come up with logos and certification names and regimes. PQIA does what it can with public awareness. Oil companies spend hundreds of millions of dollars advertising. There's even BITOG, which will show up on search engine results for just about any oil related query. Yet, someone will grab something off the shelf they've never even heard of to save a quarter.

However, I do have little patience for companies selling something as "motor oil" when it's decidedly not motor oil. On the other hand, putting Castrol ND 30 into an engine when they should be using Castrol 0w-30 A3/B4 is a case of not following directions at all. Both are legitimate products when used as intended.

Certainly. But, that oil has a target market, and I believe Shell when they say that it meets the standards for that target market. They're not claiming to meet a standard and then just dumping used oil or unadditized oil in the bottle.

Our DG has Peak synthetic and Castrol GTX right next to the DG ILSAC-5 10w30 ...

They even have 3 types of Castrol ATF next to a bottle of "some other junk" ATF ... still - that $1.50 less will draw some to reach for el cheapo ...

Originally Posted By: CT8
Why is there a need to protect all the Zombies against everything? Personal responsibility?

grin2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

It's lack of education and the misplaced concept of, "the governemt should protect me from everything, even my own ignorance."

Last edited:
You would think that do-it-yourselfers buying their own motor oils would be a little bit more knowledgeable on this stuff vs. the general public who just drive their vehicles to the local Quick Lube or car dealership. But, I guess not.

When I bought my first car in 1977 I had to learn at least enough to do my first oil change ever. The oil back then must have been API SC or SD. I had to know at least that when selecting a 10w-40 oil. Other than that single fact, I didn't know anything else about motor oil except what the owner's manual stated.

Okay I didn't read this thread until today. So I did bought a lot off oil from DG like Peak Dino and high mileage oil. Currently running it on 2002 and 2006 Odyssey. Am I going to have a problem? I'm worry now since I read this today. Should I change the oil or don't worry about it? I didn't read the details on the back of the bottle. I'm worry now

Last edited:
I don't understand how people can bring themselves to buy Dollar General brand engine oil. I've always had issues about store brand name oils though, won't use any of them for this reason because you never know what you're getting. I go with names I know and trust.

If it's genuine Peak brand labelled SN, it's probably OK. Some of the other stuff sold in Dollar General is not OK.

Originally Posted By: Jaymus
I wouldn't put that junk in my lawn mower.

Your mower probably runs better than most of the folks that pull up to a DG....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back