doing the old pre cane season maintenance

little earlier in the year than normal,I usually do this in July... anyway heading to the 49th state in my RV but want the genset ready for cane season ( my adult offspring still live with me) seems I've had this machine about 10 years now, was surprised it has 190 engine hours on it.. so I changed the oil, made sure it still runs, put some ethanol free gas and stabil in it so should be good for awhile.

IMG_0306.JPG
( i

I Googled "cane season" and got a TV show. ??

It's good you're maintaining your generator.

Have a great trip to Alaska.
hurricane season... starts June 1 and runs to end of November... but the peak is end of August into Sept... since I probably wont be back before then, I got an early start on prepping the machine... just in case.

It reads like you flee to Alaska every 'cane season.

I'd build a concrete, possibly pyramid shaped house if I lived in your region.

My house in Tornado Alley wouldn't have "a basement". The entire thing would be underground with a ruggedly built, sheltered, top-of-shaft entry to a stairway down - not entirely different from a small Metro (Paris Subway) entrance.

It reads like you flee to Alaska every 'cane season.

I'd build a concrete, possibly pyramid shaped house if I lived in your region.

My house in Tornado Alley wouldn't have "a basement". The entire thing would be underground with a ruggedly built, sheltered, top-of-shaft entry to a stairway down - not entirely different from a small Metro (Paris Subway) entrance.

house is CBS with a hip type roof, so it is sort of along the lines of a pyramid. :) anyway, its part of the deal where I live that there is a possibility of this storm... I'm not worried about the house blowing away, I'm more about being prepared for the power being out.

I thought I pretty much guaranteed I would never need my generator after I bought it, because that's how my luck goes. But 2 weeks ago around 8:30 pm the power went out. After hanging out in the dark for a couple of hours, I went to bed thinking ,if the power is still out in the morning, I'll go fire up the genny, and life will go back to normal. No such luck. By morning the juice was back on, and the generator never had to be touched. I know if I never bought it a few years back, it would have been out for a couple of weeks.,,

I thought I pretty much guaranteed I would never need my generator after I bought it, because that's how my luck goes. But 2 weeks ago around 8:30 pm the power went out. After hanging out in the dark for a couple of hours, I went to bed thinking ,if the power is still out in the morning, I'll go fire up the genny, and life will go back to normal. No such luck. By morning the juice was back on, and the generator never had to be touched. I know if I never bought it a few years back, it would have been out for a couple of weeks.,,
oh yeah. Equipment like that is good insurance, kinda like having jumper cables in your vehicle.. I bought this generator in 2011. basically it sat unused until 2017 when a little storm called Hurricane Irma knocked down every electrical wire in Collier County Fla.. since then we had a 1500 acre forest fire which took out the electricity for a few days, it burnt down the pole with transformer in my yard. and last year was Hurricane Ian, which didn't particularly devastate where I live but I was without electricity for about a week... but yeah, it is good insurance.. other thing is even if you have a generator, and pre wire the house with a transfer box you still need to keep gasoline..
100_0052.JPG
transfer box, you might not have gasoline... thats what happened with the forest fire.. of course I was able to go buy gas, not like with a hurricane..

Back