Dog gone crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've had a Husky Samoyed cross for 12 years now.

She's always hated fireworks, and chucks a huge anxiety attack the couple of times a year that the fireworks are displayed, squealing and scratching at the door, and needing comforting.

The summer just gone, this extended to trying to escape the yard when we were barbequeing (particularly as the pork crackle starts to crackle up), and the other week when a plastic plate was rocking in the wind.

In trying to escape, she tries squeezing through a literally 6" gap, and has almost gotten through a couple times.

Last few nights, she's gone bonkers, alternately clawing at the door, side gate, crawling under back gate, and making horrific yelping noises...plus digging holes like there's no tomorrow (she never used to dig).

Vet's given her a week's worth of Endep (morning), valium (evening, 5mg
crazy2.gif
), and advised that if it's not sorted in a week, she's recommending termination, as we've got two small children, and vet is worried about the dog "snapping" (our concerns too, which is why we went).

Funny, she reckons that our 12 year old dog is healthier than most 7 or 8s in this town (we follow the BARF type programmes), fit and healthy...just outlived her mind by the looks of it.

Sorry to hear that, Shannow. I really hope the meds work, so she can continue to be a good pet!

I am a dog lover and I know how you feel. Has anything changed in your family this year? My little Sheltie did not like for me to change anything --all furniture had to stay where it was when we brought her home the first time. Any changes and we had to put her on meds. Did the Vet xray her to make sure she does not have a tumor or anything? I hope that all works out for you. Please let us know what happens.

Last edited:
A couple years ago we had to put down our St. Bernard. She was one of the most gentle dogs for 11 years, but in year 12 (old for a giant breed) she started deteriorating mentally. She was great around us, but started getting grumpy around kids and on occasion would growl. Our trusted vet checked her over and physically nothing was wrong. We couldn't take the chance, and she had lived a long, great life.

Our 19 year old beagle appeared to be going nuts. Nothing alarming ..just unusual and unexpected behaviors. Sometimes she just would stand there for no good reason in some part of the room ..and just stay there. Usually she was either sleeping, seeking food, or wanting to be scratched. We wondered if she had some type of stroke or whatnot. The vet approved the use of an aspirin a day. I don't know if it was the solution, but she came out of whatever phase she was in.

our 4yr old lab tends to escape when we leave the house. she seems to not want to be away from us. she sleeps under the house and while she hears our footsteps and voices she's OK, but once that goes she will break through a timber fence. we have to tie her up when we leave.

his dog roll seems a bit suss - fruit? evolutionary? i dunno,..

Chicken, finely ground chicken bone, beef liver, whole egg, cultured kefir, seasonal vegetables selected from broccoli, celery, spinach, carrot, ground flax seed, bok choy, dried alfalfa leaf powder, beef kidney, beef heart, unbleached beef tripe, seasonal fruit selected from apple, pear, grapefruit, orange, dried kelp powder, garlic, capsicum

I haven't seen a wolf pick capsicums lately... or bok choy.

I'm sorry to hear about your dog as well, we had a golden retriever growing up that also paniced with fire works or thunder. She fortunately never got much worse and then her hearing went which "helped" with that problem...
Do some searching online for possible home remedies, our dogs are not very portable so my wife always looks up any problems we have online first, most of the time we have had good luck in avoiding the vet.

Originally Posted By: labman
http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/jan05/050115ww.asp

I wonder what was in the racoon in advanced decomposition that my dog ate last week... We do a raw food diet but with some quality dry food occaisionally for minerals and vitamins they may be missing. We get it from a local butcher and I'm pretty sure its treated the same as the rest of the meat they process. If times get real tough we can always eat ground chicken backs at $.30/lb....

Maybe your dog knew Michael Vick got released a few days ago. Just kidding Just all these dog topics are popping up here, I just couldn't resist
LOL.gif
But seriously, I hope your dog gets well.

Couple days on drugs, and the dog is a different animal (well duhh).

Anxiety is well down, escape attempts nil. Normally putting the garbage out is a logistics exercise keeping the dog, gate, and bin all in proper sequence.

No scratching at the door, howling all night.

She's a bit dopey, and let the cat eat her food last night, but still very keen and active for the most part.

Dog's gone now.

Had a few more instances of panic attacks, and trying to escape the yard. Sunday, a neighbour was BBQ cooking sausages, and the dog went berserk, trying to escape.

She knocked our 4yo son off his bike yesterday and stood on his back, which was the last straw.

Just before we loaded her into the ute to go to the vet, she was yelping and yipping, and starting to turn her lips up over her top canines, while wagging her tail, as the children patted her goodbye.

Took two people to hold a 40lb dog down just enough to shave the injection area at the vets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back