Does your employer appreciate your dedication ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was never the type of person who needed a pat on the back to do a good job. I was always paid very well with good benefits. That was thanks enough.

I guess so; I was elected to my former office six times. In all but two I was unopposed. And I was just elected to a different office.
But this really is my last tango in politics; I'll be 68 when my term ends.

Originally Posted By: Throt
And as someone who has studied motivation theories in my graduate studies, pay is never the leading factor in employee happiness. Recognition, appreciation and a feeling of doing something worthwhile always score higher.

Thanks for posting. I've read this more than once when I was working on being a better manager.

I work for a university which, in a lot of ways, is like a big company but also has its own quirks. As employment goes, there's definitely a big divide between faculty and staff.

My job is weird in that I am hourly staff(my employer put the revised FLSA rules into place a few years ago that raised the salary cut-offs and continues to follow them even though there was an injunction against those rules and AFAIK they've not officially gone into affect) and I'm just below the pay cut-off for salaried. Truth be told, by virtue of my job I usually end up working enough overtime in a year to put me close to if not over the cut-offs, but they won't budge on bumping me...

In any case, to sort of expound on the "weird" aspect of my job-you might find me teaching in the morning, then doing some work in the machine shop or some hands-on mechanical work elsewhere, followed by an appointment with a faculty member and/or graduate student to consult on experiment design or training on an instrument, followed by doing something like calibrating a bunch of spectrophotometers and rounding out the day as a bench chemist making solutions for a teaching lab experiment. That's just a "snapshot" of what a day might involve.

There's a lot of budget uncertainty going around now(the university president put an across the board 5% cut into place, which is a pretty sizeable chunk of money considering that our chemistry department general fund is ~$3.5 million a year) and one of the things that's been floated higher up is eliminating staff positions or forcing some staff to got to 80% FTE(which of course would mean a pay cut, although 80% is significant as it does at least allow you to retain benefits). For that reason, KNOWING that the folks I work most directly with-the faculty in my department and most importantly the chair-value my work and what I offer is very meaningful now. I'm the kind of person that if I see something that needs to be done and can do it, I will do it, but having that recognized to just show that I'm a valuable asset to keep around is important.

At the same time, moving on up the chain of command to the college dean and beyond, I don't feel like staff is valued at all and instead is viewed as expendable. That, unfortunately, can make for something of an uncertain work environment...

Originally Posted By: dishdude
They put money in my checking account this morning, that's all the appreciation I need.

Sometimes the boss saying "great job" on a Tcon with 50 people goes a long way for employee morale.

None of my jobs have appreciated me nor anyone.

And as someone who has studied motivation theories in my graduate studies, pay is never the leading factor in employee happiness. Recognition, appreciation and a feeling of doing something worthwhile always score higher.

This is what "cheap" employers try to sell their employees. Let's be honest about it. It's money. That's why people put up with commutes and try to climb the ladder. People don't try to "get ahead" and take promotions for "atta boy"'s and special parking spaces.

When I left my last employer, that's the B.S. the director tried to sell me. The same director that started at $35k and was making $180k when I left. He didn't get his PhD, bust his arse, and take five promotions for "appreciation".

Originally Posted By: SevenBizzos
None of my jobs have appreciated me nor anyone.

This is what "cheap" employers try to sell their employees. Let's be honest about it. It's money. That's why people put up with commutes and try to climb the ladder. People don't try to "get ahead" and take promotions for "atta boy"'s and special parking spaces.

When I left my last employer, that's the B.S. the director tried to sell me. The same director that started at $35k and was making $180k when I left. He didn't get his PhD, bust his arse, and take five promotions for "appreciation".

Sometimes it's about engaging work. I don't want to control people or change the destiny of the direction my department is taking. I *do* want to work hands-on with interesting machines, work with competent people, and have a clear way of documenting my work as my legacy. I also want to be able to stop work for a definable discrepancy and have Engineering and Supervision work out a solution amenable to all. I'm paid adequately AND I get to do something few are *allowed* to do... all this, and I work on an island across the river from some million dollar houses, so I have a million dollar view for 8 hours a day.
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

Thanks for posting. I've read this more than once when I was working on being a better manager.

Yeah, I recall the same from my various management trainings. I thought it was bogus then and think so now. Money is a powerful motivator. Given the difficulties in arriving at and maintaining a fair and uncorrupted performance appraisal process, people can best be motivated by being paid enough that they don't want to have to leave and by giving them enough additional pay over years of work that they become married to their jobs. A competent and experienced workforce is all that any supervisor wants, meaning people who can get on with it every day with little need for supervision but also people who recognize when they're in over their heads and bring the problem to you before royally screwing something up.

My boss does.

The owner of the company treats me like [censored]. Anytime I ask him for help (he’s also our IT guy) I’m met with some kind of passive aggressive remark. Our CFO has been without access to our Accounting software for well over a month. When asked, the guy just says he’s too busy and will get to it when he can.

My computer installed an automatic update recently. I guess when one person updates, everyone else has to as well. Takes ten minutes, plus a server update. I found out that this guy thinks I purposely installed the software to make his IT duties harder. Really a joke.

My immediate manager, yes.

The manager above her, kinda.

Management above that...well, our CEO made it clear in a corporate-wide town-hall meeting that people my age need to retire and/or get out of the way so that the younger generation can take over and run things. Too bad that a) the younger generation doesn't seem interested in what I do, even though it needs doing; and b) the early-retirement package stunk. Trust me, I'd have taken it if it would have benefited me.

Ha,Ha, if the CEO gave that speech here in Cali he would have had discrimination charges brought up, gotta protect us Old Guys.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: opus1

Management above that...well, our CEO made it clear in a corporate-wide town-hall meeting that people my age need to retire and/or get out of the way so that the younger generation can take over and run things. Too bad that a) the younger generation doesn't seem interested in what I do, even though it needs doing; and b) the early-retirement package stunk. Trust me, I'd have taken it if it would have benefited me.

Probably because they can get away with paying the younger folks less.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12

We have no young guys here anymore: they all left when they saw that their hired job description didn't match what they where doing or management says one and does another...

Also in CHI area, management didn't realize yet (after many good people leaving or being let go) that there is kind off an employee's market.

I already been in two places where me leaving set them back big time...

And no, they don't appreciate. They don't even understand in plain english what I do.

Don't younger folks have less experience ?

Less experience = less pay ?

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

Don't younger folks have less experience ?

Less experience = less pay ?

Both are true, but have you looked at entry level jobs recently? The requirements are laughable. I saw a posting the other day in the IT field for a technician. It was an "entry level" job paying $32,000 a year and the requirement was 5-7 years experience or a master's degree in computer science for HELPDESK. I LOL'ed.

Many companies don't realize the quality of people they have until they are gone, then want an exact replacement while trying to save thousands. It isn't going to happen.

For me, pay is the best motivator. Simply putting a paycheck in my bank account is appreciation enough IF it is fair for the work I'm doing. Before my most recent promotion I was doing the job of 3 people who I replaced but making less than any of them were. Not to mention the people who are retiring get full pensions and free healthcare for the rest of their life, but I have a 401k.

Jeepman,

For any company or business, hiring quality employees is the most difficult part.

I do feel that experienced folks in any career field can negotiate a fair salary based on their education, skills and relevant work experience.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Jeepman,

For any company or business, hiring quality employees is the most difficult part.

I do feel that experienced folks in any career field can negotiate a fair salary based on their education, skills and relevant work experience.

Totally agree, I do however think that many of the more experienced folks may just pass by that listing because of the salary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back