Does threadlocker go bad?

I have some blue threadlocker that seems awfully runny. The tube is less than half full. It could be over 5 years old. Does this stuff go bad?

Is it bad if it freezes?
"According to Loctite’s manufacturer, Henkel, Loctite (loctiteproducts.com) does go bad. The technical data sheets of both thread-locker 271 (red) and 242 (blue) say that the shelf life of each is 24 months unopened, or 12 months once the tube is opened. This assumes storage at 46-82 degrees F. (Loctite should never be frozen.)"

I also used to work in an automotive manufacturing environment. We used several types of Loctite and date codes were noted and strictly adhered to. We trashed a lot of it every year due to the product reaching the expiration date before it was all consumed.

Why would you not want to follow the manufacturer's recommendation ? I'll tell you what, if an ISO or TS auditor observed expired Loctite on the manufacturing floor, you would get dinged for it.

Some recent real world experience: I had a tube of blue Loctite that had been opened and was several years old. I used some to lock a couple of screws on a rifle scope mount and when testing them a few days later, found that the screws came out with no resistance at all. The Loctite failed and yes the screws and threaded holes were properly cleaned and degreased prior to application.

I honestly had no idea it could go bad. I’ve had mine for about a year and the stuff is expensive I’ll see if I can find a code on it and see. I’ve used tubes at school when I was there that were years old never had issues.

It seems absurd that that the shelf life of an unopened one is 24 months. The tubes are air tight until you snip off the dispensing end!

I just picked up some new thread locker at Harbor Freight wonder how good it works 🤣. Guess we will find out when I use it. I couldn’t believe how much the price has went up of the Loctite and Permatex branded ones.

I buy new tubes of loctite and anti-seize every year. It’s like $20 for the quantities I use (it’s not a lot).

RTV gets replaced as needed.

Last edited:
Back