Does this qualify as a "flush" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is for a Honda automatic transmissions - specifically year models '99 and '01, if that matters.

You know how its always a partial drain on Honda auto transmissions. Almost half of the old fluid still stays in there.

Now with the drain plug open, if fresh atf is poured into the filler hole or dipstick tube, will it push out the old fluid ? Or its just the fresh fluid coming out ?
I relize this would have no effect on the old fluid in the cooler lines but still would it be worth running a couple of quarts through like this to get as much old fluid out ? or not ?

No. The dipstick tube (where I assume you're filling) leads right to the pan with the drain plug. You want to get at the 4qts or so in the torque converer, which this won't do.

Your two options are a couple drain fills with driving between, or use the cooling line method.

I think you'd be better off draining, refilling, driving, draining, and refilling a few times. Or a cooling line flush.

AD

nope, the rest of it is in the torque converter. i posed this question to my mechanic in regards to getting out all the ATF..and the only way to get most of it out is to do a drain and fill 3 times....even that probably wont do it 100%.

Stagger each change to 1 week to cycle fluid in the system. Change every 15k and ur a happy camper.

I notice u have an MDX...from what im told...the MDXs have problematic transmissions. how is yours holding up?

ok thanks. if the cooling flush involves running/shutting the engine while filling and draining the fluid at the same time, then I might just do the 3 drain refill then.

MBCLK, only the '01-'02 trans had issues in the mdx. Mine's ok at 90k so far(knock on wood).
What Honda are you using the M1 synthetic atf in ? What is your experience with it ?

Quote:
ok thanks. if the cooling flush involves running/shutting the engine while filling and draining the fluid at the same time, then I might just do the 3 drain refill then.

The hardest thing about this is getting to the hose clamp. It's not that difficult ..even for a one person operation. It's easier with two people, but merely in the form of convenience in getting up ..walking to within reach of the key and turning it off.

Once you get the initial purge over with, you should be able to add much more fluid than it takes to cavitate the pump initially. There should be nothing (well, almost) but new fluid in the sump. This can and will somewhat mix in the converter during the purge, but with only new fluid being introduced into it...
21.gif
...You then do your fill til it comes out thing ....and you're done.

This is TONS less labor than several partial changes.

I may be missing something ..but then again, I'm lazy
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: youdontwannaknow
This is for a Honda automatic transmissions - specifically year models '99 and '01, if that matters.

You know how its always a partial drain on Honda auto transmissions. Almost half of the old fluid still stays in there.

Now with the drain plug open, if fresh atf is poured into the filler hole or dipstick tube, will it push out the old fluid ? Or its just the fresh fluid coming out ?
I relize this would have no effect on the old fluid in the cooler lines but still would it be worth running a couple of quarts through like this to get as much old fluid out ? or not ?

no it wont push more old fluid out. i try it before on my Honda/Acura, i remove the drain plug and drain the old fluid. i added the fresh fluid, then i saw the fresh fluid came out from drain hole almost at the same time.

Originally Posted By: youdontwannaknow

MBCLK, only the '01-'02 trans had issues in the mdx. Mine's ok at 90k so far(knock on wood).
What Honda are you using the M1 synthetic atf in ? What is your experience with it ?

oh ok. my mechanic has been working on Honda for years....and he mentioned it to me the other day regarding the MDXs. i bring fluids to him and he charges me labor. he even mentioned that he has never put synthetic ATF in any Hondas. but he wasnt against it. im his guinea pig i guess. its fun to talk to him cuz all he works on are Hondas. my mercedes mechanic is the same way. most of the conversation i had with him is change this fluid, adjust the valves, etc. just goes to show how great Hondas are if u do the maintenance. i have a 98 CRV AWD EX and this is my first experience with Mobil 1 ATF.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back