Does this filter look right after 1100+ miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did an OIC on my HHR today..have never worked with cartridge type filters before but does this look right for only having 1100 and some change miles on it?

IMG_1414.jpg

IMG_1431.jpg

IMG_1422.jpg

IMG_1425.jpg

Like I said no experience with cartridges so...man it looks like they take a beating

Goose
patriot.gif

It might be BR...I know it is hard to tell but look at the height of the pointy end of the filter compared to the Supertech...maybe a bit longer and when screwed in it compacts a bit?

As you can see a bit of the old oil is still left in the filter compartment.... I just used a corner of a Scotts Blue shop towel (clean) to sop up the extra...if car was not on ramps it probably would drain out

Goose
patriot.gif

I would just guess it's the pressure of the oil that warps the filter material. Just like the air filter on cars. Every air filter I have put on my cars gets 'warped' like that, and I always assumed it was just from high air flow.

Last edited:
My 2005 CTS 3.6L vvt engine uses a cartridge filter also and when I took the oem one out, it looked just like that one. Mine was in for a much longer period time, 1 year on the factory Mobil 1. Subsequent filters have not have not distorted like that. Don't worry unless it continues to occur.

btw - Have used AC Delco.

It's gotta be a fitment issue. Either that or the bypass mechanism is flawed/dysfunctional. Of course there could just be a mass brain #@$%! in the majority of the industry and they just designed the whole thing to too low a standard for the anticipated PSID that it would encounter.

..believe it or not...(imagine Jack Palance voice over)

I own two Ecotecs. Almost all of the filters on mine come out that way with 5-7 thousand mile OCI.
I've used AC, Pure one, Supertech, STP, ETC brands and they all have done it.
I believe its the oil pressure displacing the element.
I've seen pics of cut open cartridge filters that did the same.
I have no worries over this as there were never any voids or other complications from the warpage.
What I do worry about is dropping anything in the open housing when the filter is out.
I always have a new filter ready to install pronto after removing the old one.
Maybe I worry too much.

Rickey.

The cartridge filters at Ford all look like that coming out as the cap keeps moving after the other end stops and the crushes the filter a tad to prevent leaks around the filter media. No problem. If it did not crush and twist you would know you do not have a seal at the ends.

Yep looks just like every filter I have ever pulled from an EcoTec. Slightly twisted, and compressed. Frankly, I'd worry if it wasn't that way. I like to see the compressed pleats so I know it was in there nice and snug. As you see, the GM (ACD) filters are Hengst. ST's work fine also. That EcoTec is a great motor. PP, an ST filter and the OLM are a good combination.

I agree with "ewetho" and "beanoil." The distortion is probably a certain amount of measured crush to obtain a proper seal. I can't see how it would be anything that would impede the oil flow or otherwise retard the filter's function. Used a cartridge filter on one of the first cars we owned, a '67 Mercedes 250S. I don't remember whether it came out distorted or not, though.

Ironically, on the Saabcentral forum someone posted a pic of a Fram filter that looked about like this one and everyone posted the usual drivel about how bad Fram filters are. (Even though Fram doesn't likely make the Ecotec filter they sell, since it's made in Bulgeria).

I posted this pic of this Hengst filter there with the simple title "Hengst filter problem" and got one post from someone saying that it isn't likely a problem.

Well, yea, unless it's a Fram. Then they suck, you know.

Arrggh.

By the way, my Wix Ecotec cartridge filter looked perfectly fine at 5000 miles when I pulled it out of my 2006 Saab 93 2.0T to inspect it. It was not twisted or distorted at all.

I suspect that short trip driving increases the likelyhood that the filter will twist or distort. I also suspect that this is a benign condition that does not indicate a problem.

Not arguing, but I highly doubt the distortion is from the filter being too tall.

Do you guys not notice that they look NORMAL when they are new? I still say that it is from oil going through the filter, disfiguring it. I've seen the exact same thing in air filters.

That 'deformity' is odd Goose.
confused.gif
I'm at 1200mi on my Ecotec 2.2L and popped the filter out today to have a look. The factory ACD/Hengst looks as good as new on mine. No twisty action yet.
crazy.gif

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back