Does the Hyundai 2.4L still have problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My parents just bought a 2019 Hyundai Tuscon with the 2.4L Theta II engine. I know this engine got recalled for metal shavings that would eventually seize the engine. Has this issue been resolved? Are people still having this issue on new Theta II engines? Are there any other potential issues they should look out for? Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:
The affected ones weren't a bad design, it was just a machining and assembly issue if i'm right. I'm sure it's been long solved by now and I wouldn't worry about it.

Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
To get current info go to Hyundai-Forums.

2016- Tucson

There is a lot more to the story regarding Theta II issues than the ones Hyundai provided.

The OP's question/concern involves 2019, not 2016.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
To get current info go to Hyundai-Forums.

2016- Tucson

There is a lot more to the story regarding Theta II issues than the ones Hyundai provided.

The OP's question/concern involves 2019, not 2016.

It's for 2016 and newer vehicles. That's what the dash is, after 2016. Like this 2016-

Monkeyman
I belong to that Forum and need a more specific link to a thread there. Can you copy and paste it here?

You would generally find me over at the Santa Fe forum. I just joined a few days ago.

Last edited:
Think this was publicized more for Kia's. Not all dealers installed an auxiliary kit (the existing fittings look fine so why bother?), the old fittings give way turning the fuel pump into a flame thrower. Dealer error and hopefully the word got out. Shouldn't apply to new, Korean built cars.

My apologies. I linked to the sub forum and searched it and did not find issues reported. Asking the question there may get up to date info. There tends to be a lot of posts in Sonata forum regarding current Theta II issues.

Originally Posted by HM12460
New Hyundai's have a 10 year/100,000 mile power train warranty.

OK....

I have that.
Projected mileage in 10 years is about 75K. What happens when the grenade goes off in year-12 with 90K?
I know the answer....... two alternatives. I don't like either alternative.

Wait - we will be 80 years-old then. I may not know where I parked the vehicle - if I own the vehicle - or how to drive it, by then. (no pun intended).

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

I have that.
Projected mileage in 10 years is about 75K. What happens when the grenade goes off in year-12 with 90K?
I know the answer....... two alternatives. I don't like either alternative.

Wait - we will be 80 years-old then. I may not know where I parked the vehicle - if I own the vehicle - or how to drive it, by then. (no pun intended).

lol.gif

Originally Posted by ediamiam
I have a 2012 kia sorento with that 2.4 engine, 135k miles. I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure it gets regular oil changes and watch the level.

Use SN Plus Dexos1 Gen2 oils in 5w30. All city driving change 3.5K ..... mix driving change 5K.
If the oil turns black in 1K, shorten OCIs until it corrects itself to turn black in 2K. That M.O. kept all my engines clean. I even drove vehicles to junkyards 18 years later on a clear dipstick, when rust took over horribly and dangerously.

I never purchase oils that turn black quickly - or don't turn black until ridiculously long in the OCI. Just recently I purchased two jugs of Mobil-1 EP on rebate. It's the same brand name that I've dealt with before, in both Vanilla and Super Synthetic), that turns black quickly. I'm hoping the EP doesn't.
The oil is rated super-duper. If it weren't for that and my GDI recently purchased, I never would have purchased it.

Same with Valvoline synthetic on the opposite spectrum. My experience with that oil shows a very lengthy amount of time it stays clear on the dipstick. I don't like that. If it weren't for me testing the new Advanced Formula next on my GDI, I never would have bought it.

The two brands that change colors in relatively normal fashion are Castrol and Pennzoil. I haven't tried Quaker State in a while. Last time I did (2004) my magnetic oil pan bolt was loaded with silver shavings when drained. That really ticked me-off. I don't buy house/store brands either. No Supertech and no NAPA.. I stick with the leaders and wish I could stomach paying big-bucks for Amsoil , Red Line, Schaeffers.......etc.

I do a lot of freeway driving in my Sorento using synthetic with typical oil change intervals of 6500-7000 miles, mostly Pennz Platinum abd 5w-20. Latest with Quaker Syn HM

Last edited:
A guy I used to work with (a licensed mechanic who still works at the shop with my friend) just had his 2014 santa Fe 2.4 seized up on the weekend with no warning at all. It has 100k on it and had the ECM update to detect rod knock with the knock sensor (obviously it didn't work). He knows the sound of rod knock and didn't see or hear any symptoms proper to it shutting off. He thought it was an ignition problem.

Screenshot_20190715-115440.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back