Does oil filter size really matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks, I'm new to the board. Seems like there is lots of great info. and smart minds gathered here- so here goes...........

I've just bought a spin on oil filter adapter for my Triumph Tr6 - 6cyl motor. The previous filter system was a canister type - real hassle to remove\no anti-drain back valve..... etc

This adapter will allow me to run basically a variety of diff. size oil filters - oil filters that come on 1958-1995 Ford products. (apparently these years have the same filter dia. and thread size)

Therefore my question is - do I use a larger filter or a smaller one? (i realize that filter size may be hindered by mounting location)

I'm thinking bigger filter = more filtering medium, more oil capacity, better cooling of oil, But do I risk a drop in oil pressure?
Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks for you help!

Aivars Berzins

Ps My 92 Trooper runs great on the Mobil 1 & Napa Gold filters suggested by this board

I would try to get one at least as big as what the old canister had. The size of the element in the spin on can may be smaller than you would think because of the internal construction (bypass valve etc). Going oversized seems a nice idea and I often do on my vehicles. Can't hurt unless extreme, like running a 2 qt filter where stock is 1/2 qt might be a problem.

Oh ..this isn't a "remote" conversion!! This is an adapter that replaces the canister itself..I see.

You then have options of just about anything in the 3/4-16 thread. They all pretty much have the same gasket size (within .1 of mm).

Does the engine have an internal bypass valve ..as in "in block" ..or is this handled by the filter???

Size is only limited by room ..as you said.

About the smallest:

51348 (NAPA 1348)
UPC Number: 765809513488
Principal Application: Various Chrysler/Jeep (82-05), Various GM (85-05), Lexus (90-05), Saab (67-05), Saturn (91-01), Suzuki (86-02), Toyota (88-05), Yugo (86-89), Harley-Davidson, Various Lawn&Garden, Farm Equip.
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 3.404
Outer Diameter Top: 2.921
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 3/4-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes

51085 (NAPA 1085)
UPC Number: 765809510852
Principal Application: Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Vehicles (91-05), Mitsubishi Eclipse L4 2.0L DOHC (95-99); Caterpillar 3 Series Excavators, 9 Series Loaders
All Applications
Height: 3.790
Outer Diameter Top: 3.660

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.834 2.462 0.200

Small diameter ..longer can
UPC Number: 765809515161
Principal Application: Ford/Merc. Cars + Trucks (81-05), Chrysler/Jeep (02-05), Mazda Trucks (94-05)
All Applications
Height: 4.828
Outer Diameter Top: 2.921

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.734 2.430 0.226

Big can ...long length (PH8A size)
UPC Number: 765809515154
Principal Application: Chrysler Family of Cars/Trucks (57-70), Ford Family of Cars/Trucks (57-00), Mazda Trucks (94-00), Toyota Landcruiser (71-96) - (Two Quart version is 51773)
All Applications
Height: 5.178
Outer Diameter: 3.660
Note:

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.834 2.462 0.200

Big can very LONG

Part Number: 51773
UPC Number: 765809517738
Principal Application: Ford Trucks, Massey-Ferguson Tractors, Oliver Tractors, VW Eurovan (93-95)
All Applications
Height: 6.982
Outer Diameter Top: 3.663

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 1 2.834 2.462 0.200

No bypass option - like the PH16 size

Part Number: 51410
UPC Number: 765809514102
Principal Application: Toro, Ariens, IHC, John Deere, Bolen, Kohler
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Hydraulic Filter
Service: Hydraulic
Height: 3.790
Outer Diameter Top: 3.660
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: None

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 1 2.729 2.415 0.200

There are others....
dunno.gif

Basically Ford, Toyota and Chrylser filters will work.

Commonly available numbers would be:(supertech/motorcraft)
ST8/FL-1A - Ford wide and tall
ST3600/FL-400s - Ford medium wide and tall
ST3614/? - Chrylser, Toyota medium wide and short
ST16/FL-200 - Chrysler, Ford Wide and Short

-T

Assume ride!! I'm not normally an admirer of the British made hardware ..but I got a chance to drive one of those when it was fairly new (1975ish?). That and the two seater Datsun pre-Z cars were very impressive (as you can tell, I wasn't into foreign stock during that era = handling wasn't in our vocabulary back then
frown.gif
).

As TallPaul suggests, bigger is probably better. I doubt that we can get to the magnetude of increased oil mass that would effect too much (visions of creating a 20 ft. long fluid circuit that would mean that the pump had to physically push 20 quarts of oil in-line constantly).

You've probably got a decent amount of room under the hood compared to most contemporary vehicles. You should be able to fit just about anything. You just can't restrict yourself in fastening. There's plenty of open space that doesn't have what appears to be good fastening points (sheet metal) ..but zip ties to semi-rigid items works just fine. You just leave plenty of slack in the lines so that you can cut your zip ties ..place a small drain pan under the filter mount ..and re-zip it when you're done.

welcome.gif

A special welcome to a fellow Canadian and Triumph owner.

The size of filter you need depends upon how often you are going to be changing your oil and how dirty the inside of the engine is. Assuming you are a seasonal driver and use the TR6 only in the summer and change the oil once a year just before you put the car away for winter storage and that you drive under 5K km per year and your carbs are adjusted well and not running too rich. Then, I would look for a filter with about 1/2 a liter of oil capacity and change it out at each oil change.

If the adapter is of a right angle type, try and keep the filter angle as near the verticle as possible to prevent drainback of the oil filter when the engine is shut off.

Use a good quality XW-40 weight oil eg: Castrol GTX for dino or Mobil 1 for synthetic.

Oh, and by the way, I'm SPITMAN because I have a couple of Spitfires and a GT6.

99 beat me to the punch. Just slap an FL-1A on and have no worries. I tend to like the Motorcraft (Ford) from Wally world for around $2 something. But the Napa Gold FL-1A equivalent should be a good choice.....also as you said, if space permits.

I have TWO hanging off my full flow remote on my 4 banger Volvo. No issues with pressure, etc.

Like in my initial post - Great Advice!
Thanks to all those that replied.
I plan to install my new adapter when March Break arrives. It seems the Napa Gold FL-1A might be the way to go.

Thanks again,

Aivars Berzins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back