Does Magnatec do what all oils do?

A few people here have contacted Castrol directly and asked if they still get the “intelligent” Magnatec molecules if they buy the higher tier Edge product. Castrol always comes back with a solid yes, Edge in a similar grade has all the good Magnatec stuff plus some extra Edge only stuff (their fluid strength technology - whatever that is, it doesn’t generate nearly as many threads).

Bottom line, Magnatec isn’t the “best” oil in the world for every application, but it is probably one of the best bang-for-your-buck oils that most of us can easily find and afford.
Nice

The chemistry used in Magnatec is also found in EDGE/EDGE EP. The claimed advantage of this oil is in the IVA wear test. Cam lobe wear. Lot of information on this site about this oil.

I’be said it before here but the value for money with magnatec isn’t all that great. A 5 quart jug of the warren clones are 12 to 15 bucks at most and edge vanilla can be found for 22.

Reactions: 4WD
Magnatec Full Synthetic 10W30:
  • Pour point: -39C
  • HTHS: 3.2
  • Noack: 6.9
even some fancy oils can't beat that Noack! What's ST or Kirkland Noack? Guessing over 10 or 12ish?

I'm running the 10W30 it in one car planning for 5000 miles. I don't think it's a super special oil but for $19 /5qt it's not bad.

I’be said it before here but the value for money with magnatec isn’t all that great. A 5 quart jug of the warren clones are 12 to 15 bucks at most and edge vanilla can be found for 22.
Yeah I stupidly stocked up on Magnatec in 2019 when I got a new car and now I'm sitting here with like 23 quarts of SN Plus Magnatec and I don't even want to use it because I later joined and read this forum and went and got SP Edge. So what if I got the Magnatec for $15 on sale, who cares when Edge is like $23? Change every 6 months, and it's like $20 a year difference? Yeah that's not effecting my decision lol

Yeah I stupidly stocked up on Magnatec in 2019 when I got a new car and now I'm sitting here with like 23 quarts of SN Plus Magnatec and I don't even want to use it because I later joined and read this forum and went and got SP Edge. So what if I got the Magnatec for $15 on sale, who cares when Edge is like $23? Change every 6 months, and it's like $20 a year difference? Yeah that's not effecting my decision lol
Nothing wrong with API SN oils. That surely wouldn't stop many here from using it.

I wouldn't worry! SN+ is one of the latest. When did it come out? Mid 2018?

Millions of cars prior to 2018 were using SN and lower ... Last 2 oils I bought in past few months are SN. to be honest, I don't even pay attention. I just looked and noticed they are SN. The Magnatec I bought last year are also SN so you are ahead of me. I almost bought some 0W30 SL a while back but decided not to since it was too expensive.

No need to waste good oil. Run the Magnatec with no worries. Your engine won’t know the difference.

I wouldn't worry! SN+ is one of the latest. When did it come out? Mid 2018?

Millions of cars prior to 2018 were using SN and lower ... Last 2 oils I bought in past few months are SN. to be honest, I don't even pay attention. I just looked and noticed they are SN. The Magnatec I bought last year are also SN so you are ahead of me. I almost bought some 0W30 SL a while back but decided not to since it was too expensive.
For tuned EcoBoosts? Timing chains and all?

I wish there was a way to secretly switch-out and replace the oil with (In this case - Magnatec) the a target oil. The vehicle owners would have no idea the oil was changed. I wonder if "anyone" would say: "Oh my gosh! My engine is somehow quieter!" I just think we all perceive this Magnatec to quiet things down because we are told this on the label and our brains are highly susceptible to marketing claims and "suggestions"... Not saying it's a bad oil, but really, dosen't ANY new oild change provide some "quieting"?

I wish there was a way to secretly switch-out and replace the oil with (In this case - Magnatec) the a target oil. The vehicle owners would have no idea the oil was changed. I wonder if "anyone" would say: "Oh my gosh! My engine is somehow quieter!"
Like a blind "taste test" ... that would be interesting.

I would follow the owner's manual recommendation. Is it specifying anything higher that SN+?
SP is back compatible. All new oil API ratings/formulations are designed to be back compatible. Wouldn't make sense to not do it that way, otherwise you'd have 10 times more oil on the shelves then there is now to try and cover multiple API ratings.

Specifically, in terms of how it says it "clings" to the moving or metal parts for quieter starts. My question is.. don't ALL oils leave some kind of film on internal engine parts, even if thin, which is fine.. of themselves, not just Magnatec?

I also thought I read somewhere that Group V was particularly good at this; also, that Group IV doesn't particularly like cold starts. Magnatec is some kind of Group III+ isn't it?
Castrol Magnatec does not have Group V polyol ester (POE) base stocks. It probably has some organic antiwear/extreme pressure/friction modifier (AW/EP/FM) compound, possibly ester-based, which is found in almost every modern oil these days, especially in dual-rated API CK-4/SN HDEOs with reduced ZDDP. So, all in all it's a marketing gimmick.

SP is back compatible. All new oil API ratings/formulations are designed to be back compatible. Wouldn't make sense to not do it that way, otherwise you'd have 10 times more oil on the shelves then there is now to try and cover multiple API ratings.

I agree.

However, if I'm not mistaken he has a stockpile of SN+ and after joining bitog, he no longer wants to use them and prefers SP.

He was then wondering if SN+ is ok for tuned eco-boost and timing chains ... and I referred him to his owner's manual.

I agree.

However, if I'm not mistaken he has a stockpile of SN+ and after joining bitog, he no longer wants to use them and prefers SP.

He was then wondering if SN+ is ok for tuned eco-boost and timing chains ... and I referred him to his owner's manual.
I'd have no problem running SN+ in a tuned eco-boost. The + in SN if for LSPI control, which is what should be used in turboed engines.

Back