Does fuel injector cleaner really do anything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Starman2112
Originally Posted By: Trav
Waste of money imo. Injectors are self-cleaning. Just use top tier fuel from a high volume station and you're good to go.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

Read this from a man who's owned his own shop since 1974 and studied quality management under W. Edwards Deming. I'll take his advice thank you.

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/165

Do as you like. Pretty sure Trav runs a business dedicated to refurbishing and cleaning fuel injectors...

Thank you I will. Pretty sure some random guy on the internet doesn't have the credentials of AGCO.

I have run acouple vehicles over 200000 miles. Used techron as directed a few times a year. Never had an injector issue. Was it because I used techron? I have no idea.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Here's another for good measure:

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/152

But by all means keep buying that snake oil...

Two links to the same site, for good measure?

Yeah, OK. Quote the same source five times, and it's still just one source.

But that same site recommends top tier for the (and this is important) cleaners in the fuel.

Now, the guy that rebuilds injectors for a living says proper cleaners work, and your linked site says use gasoline with proper additives (which are, uh, cleaners) so, I'm thinking that proper cleaners work...and your site says to avoid the cheap junk cleaners at the auto parts stores.

So, use good gas. Got it. But it's to keep things clean...and I've seen the guy that rebuilds injectors for a living say that good cleaners (PEA) work.

So, thanks for the links, they support what Trav says.

No [censored] good gas has detergents in it. Thanks for pointing that out. That's why if you use good fuel you don't need to buy fuel treatment. Just because some is good doesn't always mean more is better. Sure, you can save two cents a gallon on [censored] gas and then add fuel treatment if you don't mind the added cost and inconvenience. I prefer to buy good gas and be done with it, like I've always done in my 33 years of driving with ZERO fuel system problems.

Last edited:
Thank you I will. Pretty sure some random guy on the internet doesn't have the credentials of AGCO.

Trav is no more random than AGCO, who is also on the internet.

So what would be a good product to use ? Is seafoam any good?
What benefits would I see? The article posted above states they aren't needed and to just use gasoline from a decent station. It said the products were a waste. That being said if they actually do clean I'll use one just not sure what's the best bang for my buck.

AGCO is a brick and mortar shop in Baton Rouge, LA. Where's Trav's shop? How long has he been in business? Does he have his own radio show and podcast? Did he study under Deming?

Originally Posted By: ram_man
What benefits would I see? The article posted above states they aren't needed and to just use gasoline from a decent station. It said the products were a waste. That being said if they actually do clean I'll use one just not sure what's the best bang for my buck.

I guess it depends on who you choose to believe - a very successful, large shop in business for 40+ years or some random strangers on an Internet forum.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ram_man

I guess it depends on who you choose to believe - a very successful, large shop in business for 40+ years or some random strangers on an Internet forum.
Chico to Groucho "So who you gonna believe? Me or your own eyes?"
grin2.gif

Trav is a good guy and too busy fixing stuff to have his own show. If he got one, I'd watch it.

Originally Posted By: Garak

What do you think Trav does for a living?

Personally, I prefer to trust a a fuel injector rebuilder that is quite content with people using a PEA cleaner where applicable, instead of having to send him the injectors after the fact, rather than drumming up business by having people buy whatever the heck they want.

PEA is used in Top Tier fuels, and remember that not everyone has access to such fuels.

Correct - on all counts.

AGCO is a brick and mortar shop in Baton Rouge, LA. Where's Trav's shop? How long has he been in business? Does he have his own radio show and podcast? Did he study under Deming?

You'll have to ask Trav about his training. And he has been a sponsor here before and had ads, we know he has a shop (actually more than one if my memory serves me), and several BITOGers have used his services. If you Google Hurst Injector Service, you can find all kinds of information.

Having a radio show and podcast to me really aren't qualifications, they're disqualifications.

Originally Posted By: andyd
I've used Regane and felt no change in performance or MPG. On a clean system, you wouldn't feel any gain. That doesn't make the stuff snake oil. It just means your fuel injectors are clean. I have used it in cars where it made a difference.

I tried Rogane but it did not work for me...my bald spot is still there.

Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN
Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Which cleaners have PEA in sufficient quantities?

Thanks

Redline SI-1 is excellent (my go to favorite).
There is a new Gumout version that talks about the most PEA of any cleaner. Try that if you like.

Just be sure that whatever you buy, follow the directions exactly.

Thank you.

I remember back when BITOG was about engine lubricants and fluids and not these ridiculous petty arguments on podcasts.

Come on guys...raise the bar...don't lower it.

Fuel Injector Cleaner does what it says, but constant cleaning at a smaller dose (as found in Top Tier Fuel) is probably more effective. Most oil companies use Techron, Shell have their own proprietary formula, they all work.

Most gas stations get the same gas from the most local refinery. Additives are added to the storage tank or sometimes to the entire tanker load by the delivery driver at Top Tier stations. At discount stations, no additive. It's highly concentrated ... think a quart to thousands of gallons ... but it's effective at that concentration.

I looked into this extensively a couple of years ago, with the best data from Volkswagen. There was enough there to show results, and concentrations were surprisingly low while maintaining effectiveness, photos of valves / heads /injectors backed up VW's conclusions.

Obviously that means a store-bought bottle is mostly petroleum distillate with a very small dose of active ingredient. But if you only buy fuel at discount stations, it might be a reasonable approach. If you're buying Top Tier fuel, it's unnecessary; your injectors will be clean already. The only real difference is Premium Grade tends to have the highest concentration, but I wouldn't buy Premium just for that reason.

My two favorites are 20oz bottle of Techron CFSC and Gumout Regane High Mileage FSC. Use it once an oci, ~6k mile intervals. Both contain PEA.

With my car I always used premium fuel, but I'm sure the previous owner used regular fuel.

Anyway, to me fuel injector cleaner was snake oil. But one day my local auto store had Valvoline fuel injector cleaner at a super low price, like a $1 a dose. So I spent a buck and gave it a go.

My car always had a hesitation followed by a surge just off idle. One dose of the Valvoline FI cleaner and it smoothed right out. Even power, hesitation and surge gone.

I went back while the sale was on and spent anothe $2 for an extra couple of doses, which I have yet to use.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Waste of money imo. Injectors are self-cleaning. Just use top tier fuel from a high volume station and you're good to go.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

Read this from a man who's owned his own shop since 1974 and studied quality management under W. Edwards Deming. I'll take his advice thank you.

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/165

In an ideal world its true you would not need any sort of addition cleaners unfortunately that world doesn't exist for the vast majority of people.
Thing you can control in the ideal world would be, buy a car with plastic tank, lines and injectors with stainless internals and one with an external filter not just the internal one mounted in the pump/sending unit unit and maintain that filter.

Things beyond your control, anything to do with where the fuel is refined or stored, the condition of the tanks, the fuels moisture/water content, phase separation at best causing a dropout of octane boosting ethanol at worst a high water/moisture content mix now very corrosive fuel.
Heat from combustion on DI injectors causing them to actual sustain heat damage far up the injector which I have seen on a few Mazda's.

Regular port injectors are not immune to heat, after shut down they heat soak and some of the fuel can and usually does varnish right in the injector over time.
To prove this point one only has to look at Evinrudes recommendation of letting the engine idle after extended higher rpm runs for a while to cool the hot injectors down with circulating fuel on the E Tech units.

The real world is much different, even with the best brands of fuel from high volume stations is no guarantee. Even if the car was bough just a few years ago they are not immune to ethanol issues. Used cars may have been run on cheap gas, have rust in their metal tanks, lack of filter maintenance and corrosion in the the injectors.
While the additives in top tier fuel may address some cleanliness issues it doesn't come close to preventing corrosion in an old style injector that had few if any stainless components, like a Bosch 1 pintel style which were still being used in the 2000's. For these and a few others like the old Kehin's you must run an additive to prevent corrosion of the pintel needle.

I clean and rebuild a lot of injectors every day but also flow match and do 55v marine and racing injectors. I get to see what they look like inside.
I have tested Redline SI-1 on old style pintel injectors, I cleaned them properly, checked their flow and spray pattern against the Bosch provided data then tested them 30K later. 3oz per full tank of the Redline was used every tank, this was E10 fuel.
No corrosion of the pintel, same flow and spray pattern as when they were first cleaned. They had previously gone 25K with no additive and had reduced flow and poor spray pattern on multiple injectors, the needles had deposits but no pitting (fortunately they had only been run on E0 fuel up to this point). That's good enough for me to recommend it.

For used car I suggest a two prong approach, a good PEA cleaner like Redline, Gumout Regain (I suspect the orange high mileage may have more PEA), Techron All in One, possibly others for a full tank then Berrymans Chemtool (very cheap) to go after any remaining varnish deposits for the next tank, Berrymans is far more effective on these deposits.

Fuel filter maintenance is imperative in preventing particles getting into the injectors filter baskets, theoretically anything that can get through the filter should be small enough to get past the nozzle in reality it doesn't work that way. These tiny deposits like to stick to any varnish and find their way into every possible crevice inside and accumulate, at this point they do not break up and will plug the injector like this #3.

New filter vs old, this old one isn't that bad, I see much worse.

A 55V DI pump injector nozzle, there is no preventing this, it is plugged and must be taken apart to clean it.

Clean small tank, I use 3 different tanks.

After doing a set of 4 that had been bead blasted and totally clean outside, this is from inside the injectors. Same fluid is the same I always use the lighting is the reason for color difference.

Finally a set of matched injectors with less than 0.5% difference vs 3-5% OE spec with as close to a perfect pattern as you can get without going custom.

Phase separation article from Veeder Root.

http://blog.veeder.com/phase-separation-what-are-the-implications

Edit BTW I started in the Automotive trade in 1971 so I have a little experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: a5m
Trav, do you ultra-sonic clean injectors ? Carbs come up well.

Family friend is an Engineer and was involved in testing fuels in the UK when we had problems with Supermarket fuels causing engine damage, poor quality control and storage were the major factor (water and other contaminants), millions of £££ was paid out.
One of the things noted was the branded fuels had much better additive packs than the cheap Supermarket ones (but I don't know what was considered a good or adequate level to help maintain a clean fuel system)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back