Does Fram really cause engine failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
DSC00084.jpg

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=261991

Last edited:
I'd say if any filter has the ability to let it's inards puke out into an engine, or implode and stop/restrict oil flow it's certainly a Fram Extra-Guard. I've seen the damage they can do and wouldn't use 'em if they were free. There are much better filters for the same price.

Last edited:
Only when you don't change the oil. This car probably was not taken very good care of and per his own admission, he sort of, kind of, floored it. He probably went about 4 digits past redline and just threw a rod.

This thread cannot exist. Toyota's don't blow up!
grin2.gif

Sorry, had to
wink.gif

They mentioned in the thread that this was the 2nd one to go?

Looks like it threw a rod.

The biggest problem with Frams is not the cardboard. It's the anti drain back valves that let the oil drain out of the filter. This makes the engine rattle when first started.

If you look at the pics he posted you can see the crankshaft. It looks to be fine. If it was a lubrication problem the crank would be damaged,blue or have chunks of bearing stuck to it.

It looks like his rod failed for no aparant reason which IMO is not a lubrication problem even with the Orange can on it.

Unless the engine is completely torn down for inspection/investigation, otherwise, I frankly cannot see any correlation between Fram orange can and throwing a rod.

Throwing a rod can be caused by bad materials on rod, end cap, weakened bolts, etc. This could be due to defective in manufacturing, materials and/or workmanship.

to OP and others: unless you know what you are talking about, I would severely refrain from making stooopid guess RE: orange can lead to thrown rod.

Q.

19.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quest
Unless the engine is completely torn down for inspection/investigation, otherwise, I frankly cannot see any correlation between Fram orange can and throwing a rod.

Throwing a rod can be caused by bad materials on rod, end cap, weakened bolts, etc. This could be due to defective in manufacturing, materials and/or workmanship.

to OP and others: unless you know what you are talking about, I would severely refrain from making stooopid guess RE: orange can lead to thrown rod.

Q.

19.gif

Agreed.

The engine may have very well simply had a defective component.

Fram filters are okay.

They don't cause your engine to blow up as soon as you install them.

Although everyone seems to know someone that had an engine failure directly attributable to the use of a Fram filter.

That's the urban legend, at least.

Truth is that Fram filters are just not as robust as a Purolator or an AC Delco (US made) in the same price range.

That's why I quit using them.

Just pick one up at the auto parts store and look at the interior constuction compared to a Purolator.

You'll see superior workmanship and superior components in the Purolator.

But is the Fram sufficient to get you to the next 3000 mile change?

Yes it is.

This is how Fram can get away with selling such garbage. How do you prove the filter was responsible?

I would suspect a great number of us used them for years before we became so educated by BITOG, myself included. I suppose ignorance IS bliss. I put hundreds of thousands of miles on several vehicles and I never knew that them dern fram filters were going to finish me off at any second. I'm glad that I know better now.

My bet would be someone force inducted the engine without using stronger parts. Rod failure is usually too much horse power for design, not lubrication.

This happens on civic and integra a lot. The rice boys turboed it with stock internal and boom.... a hole in the block.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
This is how Fram can get away with selling such garbage. How do you prove the filter was responsible?

As much as you would like to passionately accuse Fram for selling garbage, equally sad but true fact is, up north here, Fram gets over 2/3 of the aftermarket oil filter share (Purolators can be had but rarely sells them due to various reasons). If Fram oil filter is such a bad idea (and would throw a rod, etc.), why don't we, stastically-speaking, get more engine troubles per capita than you folks south of the 49th parallel?

Lastly, don't forget that there's quite a significant portion of OE filters (Honda, Mazda, recently Subaru,etc.) are pretty much rebranded/OE spec'ed Frams.

12.gif

Q.

This looks like an abused engine from the colour inside the hole but I could be wrong..

I know I can't use the Fram Oil filter spec'd for my engine because it restricts the flow too much and actually causes my oil light to flicker at the stop-lights. There was even a TSB from my manufacturer that said so.

No, Fram will not cause engine damage. My father used Fram orange can on many vehicles for many miles w/o any problems. This was before my BITOG days. We now use Fram Extended Guard, Mobil1 and Purolator Pure One with Pennzoil Platinum in the crank case.

BTW, the Fram Extended Guard are top notch filters.

Last edited:
Absolutely not. When i had my Honda it saw nothing but Fram X2. Im not sure if that filter is that much more different than the others.

Last edited:
I used FRAM oil filters for more than 20 years and never had a problem. I would get some start up rattle once in a while though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back