Does extremely cold weather cause dipstick readings to be off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As said: Check the manual. Some CAT equipment has different levels marked, one for before startup in cold, other side for normal temps. Cold oil contracts.

Spector, You are reading the part of the manual that tells you how to CHANGE your oil. Go to the part wher it tells you how to CHECK your oil level. And please take my advice on this point. Find some paint remover or something and obliterate all evidence of the 8.5 quart fill scribbled on your valve cover. This will result in the several conditions I describe above. The owners manual is exactly correct by telling you to put in 7.5 quarts of oil. No, it won't bring it up to the "FULL" mark when cold, but it MIGHT when it's hot. The fact is, this engine is gauranteed to run forever on 5 quarts of dino, the rest is insurance. I personally find it best to run my oil at the "ADD" mark (cold) on this engine. OH, my quote says that this engine was designed to run on dino oil. Which means that under normal conditions, the engine should last 300,000 miles with it. The gazillion post on this board always confirm that synthetic oil gives the best protection under EXTREME conditions. I don't see a conflict with what I have posted and your manual. I'm very happy to hear that it was in the '96 manual in fact. I don't see it written anywhere in the '99 manual however. In fact, if you find your brother slightly unhappy with the oil usage in his new car, I will gladly tell you how to cure it, for free!

Labman, Check the "centigrade" part of the equation and get back to us. I think your calculations make the coefficient of expansion a little high.

Yeah, jumping back and forth between F and C is confusing. I frequently confuse my math students. sometimes I even confuse myself. Likely everyone will be disappointed with the scores on the final tomorow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back