OCD and dipstick reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Tundra requires 7.9 quarts of oil with a new filter, and despite adding 8 quarts, the dipstick never reflects full, and yes, it's checked in garage on level ground. When checked hot after 20 minutes or so, it shows about 7/8 full between the add and full mark. When checked cold, it shows around 3/4 full between the add and full mark. I suppose expansion is to blame for that discrepancy, the manual just states to wait more than 5 minutes after shut down. I know it's perfectly fine, I know I'm splitting hairs, and I know that dipsticks aren't always 100% accurate, but it still bugs me. The OCD in me says "it's not at the full mark", but the OCD in me says "you put in more oil than required, and anything between the add and full mark is normal." With the exception of putting in 8 quarts vs 7.9 quarts, I tend to go exactly by the manual. I'm really just venting, but does anyone else deal with this?

Originally Posted by Idlewild294
My Tundra requires 7.9 quarts of oil with a new filter, and despite adding 8 quarts, the dipstick never reflects full, and yes, it's checked in garage on level ground. When checked hot after 20 minutes or so, it shows about 7/8 full between the add and full mark. When checked cold, it shows around 3/4 full between the add and full mark. I suppose expansion is to blame for that discrepancy, the manual just states to wait more than 5 minutes after shut down. I know it's perfectly fine, I know I'm splitting hairs, and I know that dipsticks aren't always 100% accurate, but it still bugs me. The OCD in me says "it's not at the full mark", but the OCD in me says "you put in more oil than required, and anything between the add and full mark is normal." With the exception of putting in 8 quarts vs 7.9 quarts, I tend to go exactly by the manual. I'm really just venting, but does anyone else deal with this?

Make sure you have the correct dipstick, there could have been a switch sometime in error.

Last edited:
As long as I'm over half way up the hash marks i couldn't care less about the oil level. Assuming the vehicle consumes little to no oil.

Go by OM specified refill capacity with filter change.
More is not better and too much causes engine damage. You are good. You don't want to be bad now, do you?

If you want to be a bit appropriately OCD - or just cautiously correct - read the service manual and cross reference to your OM and insure they agree.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
As long as it's between the full and add mark your ok. Sorry, there are no know cures for OCD.

Will Power

As long as it's between the full and add mark your ok. Sorry, there are no know cures for OCD.

100% effective cure but it isn't legal unfortunately.

Last edited:
NO.

You know you put in 8 quarts ... and you know how that shows on the dipstick ...

Replace dipstick, close hood, and go drive your truck !

Are you using the stock Toyota filter? A long time ago I would use larger filters which would affect the reading on the stick.

Originally Posted by Idlewild294

That's exactly how mine reads.

So, I pour in 8 quarts and let it ride.

By the way, I've been using 5w30... gasp!

Sorry, there are no know cures for OCD.

I imagine that extreme OCD could be debilitating and not good for your long term health. Don't hesitate to find a "good" psychologist/therapist and discuss ways to manage it. Cognitive therapy and mindfulness training can help. There are medications that target OCD/OCPD and a combination of medication and therapy is often effective. Old age and life experiences tend to moderate OCD a bit, I found. Dealing with a serious health problem of a loved one helps put things in perspective, but I don't recommend this strategy. Finding relief from things like OCD is like a rebirth. You will wonder why you waited so long to be relieved of that heavy burden. Yes, burden. I know people who are controlled by OCD and are generally miserable. They cannot live with a fingerprint on their car window or door handle. Best wishes on your future.

Originally Posted by JoelB
As long as I'm over half way up the hash marks i couldn't care less about the oil level. Assuming the vehicle consumes little to no oil.

For the most part, this ^.
Above halfway on the hash mark and I would not worry about it.
In your specific case, I would dump the 8 qts in, I mean really, what difference does 0.1 qts make, and how accurate is your 7.9 qts.
I know for me it would be off since I would be using two 5 qt jugs using the markings on the side of the jug to get it "close enough".

Here is a question for you, if the manual says to add 4.5 qts with oil and filter change, and you add 4 qts and it reads right at full (after engine runs and such to get the oil flowing), do you still add the "required" half qt?
I have had 2 vehicles (current xB and former Elantra) that have been like this. Both of them I have not added the "required" amount with no oil related issues in almost 200,000 miles.
Although I am starting to see a little oil useage on the xB (1/4 to 1/2 qt in 5000 miles) so I may start doing 4.5 qts.

OCD - mea culpa.

Oil Compulsive Disorder.

Also known as

Oil Can Derangement syndrome.

Last edited:
My Toyota does the about same; it shows only 89% of the way from low to full when the prescribed volume is poured in. I do not add more, 'tho that likely wouldn't matter much.

Perhaps they're allowing for the tendency of hasty service people to rush draining of the old oil by putting the plug back prematurely. Or perhaps they're allowing for a buildup of sludge occupying part of the sump volume.

Last edited:
My daughter's 03 Camry has been in the family since brand new and has always done this. It use to bother me but over the years I have learned to live with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back