Does ATF degrade with time or mileage or both?

This isn't some exotic or fun sports car. Why did you buy it, new no less, and 4WD no less when you don't even drive it in the winter, to only use it 1,000 miles a year? I can understand if you say you are rich, but most people here would be scratching their heads.
I'm not rich......I just live in the rust belt of NJ. I have winter cars that see the salt. I expect the Titan to last a long time.

Of course not, because it is non-magnetic friction material. If you have lots of magnetic material shavings... IMO it is probably too late.
Every time I've dropped a pan to change the filter, the magnet has been loaded with fine shavings.. Every one, even at 12k

Every time I've dropped a pan to change the filter, the magnet has been loaded with fine shavings.. Every one, even at 12k
That‘s what I see on several driveline magnets. Once magnets are loaded - the metal becomes part of the lubricant and they don’t exactly pass a Fram XG to take out other stuff. Sure, many of them motor on - but we also have early failures with no answers as to why. Each vehicle is different - our Cruze ate ATF … my Tahoe & Rubicon it’s gear oil …
I go remote and often alone - want clean fluids. I know this and shop price well ahead of changing.

hat‘s what I see on several driveline magnets. Once magnets are loaded - the metal becomes part of the lubricant and they don’t exactly pass a Fram XG to take out other stuff. Sure, many of them motor on - but we also have early failures with no answers as to why. Each vehicle is different - our Cruze ate ATF … my Tahoe & Rubicon it’s gear oil …
I go remote and often alone - want clean fluids. I know this and shop price well ahead of changing.
The pan on my CV has a cross member over the front three bolts.. Seems like you need to drop the cross member to access them. I haven't really investigated too much yet.
If I do remove the pan, I will have a plug installed for future D&F's. I'll R&R a motorcraft filter, and change it every 30-50k. If the cross member needs to be dropped to access the bolts, I plan on drilling access holes in the cross member so I don't have to drop it next time. Good times with ****ty designs.

Back