Does anyone still make 2 Cycle Push Mowers?

I grew up mowing with an 80s Lawnboy-a mower my parents unfortunately just got rid of(I wish I'd grabbed it...).

I've been mowing with a Murray branded 20" with the no-oil-change B&S engine that my wife bought when she bought this house, and at 5 years old it's showing its age and I'm shopping. It's real shock to me especially considering that it was rare that I couldn't walk into the hardware store and either buy or order whatever part I needed in the past, but that's a different story.

After using that self propelled Lawn Boy for years, I'm really missing the weight and power of an old 2 stroke engine. My weedeater is 2 stroke, but I'd really like a 2 stroke mower also.

Unfortunately, it looks like 2 strokes, and the old classic Lawnboy bottom exhaust mowers too, are a thing of the past. Am I right in this?

Part of me is tempted to scour Craigslist/Facebook and try to find exactly what I want, but practically I'm also wondering if I should just give in and buy(another) 4 stroke.

I've looked at a few current production ones, and nothing really jumps out at me. I'd love a 22", but realize I may need to settle for 21". I'd also love self propelled, but lack of isn't a deal killer. It seems that Honda and B&S are the options now, and if I'm going to have to go 4 stroke as much as I'd love a Honda, the ones I like are more than I want to spend now. At the moment I'm eying a B&S powered 22" self propelled Troy-Bilt at Home Depot, but again I don't know that I even want to spend $430 on that.

And as a bigger question, since it seems as though 2 stroke mowers just don't exist anymore, should I just forget about them and recognize how much "better" it is to not have to add a little oil into my gas and tote around a heavier and less powerful engine in exchange...

I've only owned two lawnmowers in 50 years! The first one was a Lawnboy, like yours which lasted me 22 years, and not a small yard either!
It was replaced by the "original" Honda 4 stroke HR215 self propelled, that one lasted me 25 years on a bigger yard!
If you get a good one, it will work fine for you.

Yep, and if you want a 2 stroke weed trimmer/edger/blower/chain saw you better get one now before they are also outlawed
This. 2-strokes are a dying breed. Anything larger displacement than 50cc or so have been effectively outlawed due to emissions regulations.

Just get a 4 stroke and live with it.
I've got to chime in here. I have a Snapper Commercial mower, a Lawn Boy 6.5HP silver series and a Toro 60V.

The bottom line is that the Electric Toro best compares to the Lawn Boy with regard to light weight and raw power. The 190cc Honda powered Snapper is not as powerful as either and despite being an epic mower, it struggles in some conditions.

My great grandma had a snapper self propelled mower.. when I was a teen I'd ride down in the summer with the grandparents and use it on her yard trimming/hills.
it was the heaviest hardest steering turd I ever used.. made me appreciate the aluminum deck push mower I used at home alot more.

I have one runner and a couple project Lawnboys with F series engines. Most parts, some even NOS, exist. Good gas tanks and coils are getting scarce. Be careful, my first one was free. The next 3 weren't :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: JTK
It's been since the 1990's I believe that 2-stroke push mowers became a thing of the past. Toro might have hung on a little longer with a commercial series aluminum decked 21" that had a Suzuki 2-stroke. Same as what was used on some of the Toro single stage snow blowers of the time period.

I was a young home owner and bought a two-stroke Lawn-Boy with the Duraforce engine the last year they were still available. I still have it. Haven't used it for years when I moved to acreage. It's in storage as I'm having a new home built and sold the last one.

I used plenty of SuperTech outboard oil in it with no problems.

My younger sister lives in my old first house. 1/3 acre, I got her a Cub Cadet NON self propelled push mower with the Honda 160CC engine.
The Cub Cadet is easier to push. I really like the natural position handle on the Cub Cadet. Much better mower except maybe it has less power.

BTW, big high wheel mowers extend the wheelbase and make it a bit harder to tip back.

DSC_0008.JPG

You can still buy 2 cycle B&S just the engine new but not the whole mower.

Last edited:
I have been using two stroke Lawn Boy mowers for many years. It is sad they are no longer produced. When Lawn Boy dealers were closing back in the 80's and 90's I bought several parts inventories. I now assemble my own new models from these NOS parts for collection and use and not for sale. Both mowers shown are 1977 7024 models. The one on the left has never been started and the other one is used regularly. They run excellent and are even easier to maintain using the cleaner burning 50:1 two cycle oils available today.
Twin 7024s.gif

Last edited:
I have been using two stroke Lawn Boy mowers for many years. It is sad they are no longer produced. When Lawn Boy dealers were closing back in the 80's and 90's I bought several parts inventories. I now assemble my own new models from these NOS parts for collection and use and not for sale. Both mowers shown are 1977 7024 models. The one on the left has never been started and the other one is used regularly. They run excellent and are even easier to maintain using the cleaner burning 50:1 two cycle oils available today.View attachment 100027
HI Mike,

I am not sure where in Ill you are located. I am in STL and have 2 of the Duraforce models like pictured in Skyactiv's post above. Both are good machines that have been well taken care of, and I would like to sell them. Any idea what they are worth?

For a push power? Just curious if you have a link to that.
Wow, I just checked B&S website and they don't have it anymore. Earlier last year they still sell the flat heads. I guess the remaining inventory are gone for good. Sigh. There could be someone selling around like the mom& pop small engine repair shops that could still have new B&S 2 cycle engines..

Back