Does anyone lube their door hinges...

Status
Not open for further replies.
SAE 30 in an oil pump can. A couple of drops on the hinges (including the rear hatch) and on the hood latch. Every oil change. Never had a problem.

The latches on the doors get a squirt of CRC Super Lube every once in a while. I don't want an oily mess where it could wipe on cloths.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I use cheap ATF with some MoS2 in a pump oil can. A couple of drops on each hinge will do it without making a mess. You can throw some Ceratec in the mix if you have some.

+1

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
I lube the door hinges and I use Fluid Film.
FF works great. I used in on my patio door rollers, still good after a year. It seems to hang in a lot longer than oil or spray white lithium.

Fluid Film. I give them a squirt every oil change. I once changed pins & bushings in an early 80's Chevrolet pickup. NOT fun and Ill gladly lube often if I never have to do it again. In the locks I prefer silicone over graphite. Especially in the freezing winter. It seems lubing often with silicone helps keep the water out and from freezing.

I use bicycle chain lube (Castrol). Sprays on super thin to seep into the hinges but dries to grease. Works very well.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I use cheap ATF with some MoS2 in a pump oil can. A couple of drops on each hinge will do it without making a mess. You can throw some Ceratec in the mix if you have some.

+1

+2

I saved used ATF in a quart bottle, used it to lube every hinge, from garage door to car to house door ...

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

+1

+2

I saved used ATF in a quart bottle, used it to lube every hinge, from garage door to car to house door ...

Cool. I think I have some old Type F or Dex3 floting around. I don't have any other purpose for obsolete ATF.

I do, but you know, I have a rear door on my Cadillac that will not stay open. The slightest grade and it will fall shut on you. There is nothing wrong with the hinge, I've been trying to think of something to put on it that will bind it up.

I picked up some of that Ultra Lube multi-purpose spray lube and it works well with my gm truck hinges. It's supposedly a bio-based product and has a neutral smell vs solvent based lubes.

I use white lithium grease, but I like the idea of the obsolete ATF and MoS2 mix. I'm going to make some up and give it a try.

I had a little pump can that due to its color was hard to find in my clutter. It broke. I replaced it with a larger and red oil can I found at TSC. I fill it with leftover oil. Oil Can Andy
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back