Does anyone else lament the demise of the V8?

I own Prado 3.0 D-4D.
Be lucky you are not venturing into Toyota diesels.
We run Prado, the Hilux, and F250’s overseas … engines are doing Ok … but I’m surprised at the Hilux driveline failures
Granted these were loaded and driving in half mush and half slush 😳

I’m glad to see I6 engines making a comeback truthfully.

Last edited:
We used Hilux with 3,0D for SAR purposes. Replaced them with, read this, Ford Ranger.
SCR faikures, CR pump failures (you basically need laboratory clean fuel), EGR, turbos are know to go bad.
Granted, outside Europe they migh do better due to less restrictive emissions, but considering what debacle was 2.2d, not surprise.

Eh....have had several vehicles with 8s, great smooth naturally aspirated power. The thing to me with the smaller turbo 4s/6s is...the tuning potential for massive/easy power is crazy and if you've never felt what a tuned turbo engine feels like....that boost is addictive! My 1.8L VW would run dead-even in the 1/4 drags a few mos. ago with a Chevy SS V8....think about that. When I told him after he ask me what I had in my wagon he was floored. 1.8 baby!

Agree 100%
Also if you listen to a V-8 with a flat plane crankshaft----Oh the sound of that revving to it's redline!!
I'm not a Ford enthusiast, but the one I heard was a Mustang with a Coyote 5.0L flat plane crank and, WOW!
It was probably a 5.2L instead of the 5.0. As far as I know, Ford hasn't used the flat plane crank in the 5.0L.

That used to be the case, but now with the government placing so many new restrictions on the industry, they kind of have the industry backed into a corner...
No they don’t have them in the corner.
I mean does anyone seriously think here that manufacturers don’t lobby like crazy? This is symbiosis between politics and industry. No politician will dictate something that destroys jobs. All policies when it comes to emissions are done with negotiations with manufacturers. There is no a single policy where manufacturers didn’t have a say in it.
That is how things work. If manufacturers were left to do whatever they wanted, you would still be driving without seat belt and crumbling zones and they would tell you ut is in your own interest.

This is not a political statement, though I will mention government policies.
With respect to everyone else's comments and opinions.
Seems to me the current US administration and most of Europe have a policy of ICEs are going away in favor of EVs. So the manufacturers will have to weigh the potential profits during the next decade +. Plenty of time to revive a V8.
However, it would probably be smaller displacement and turbo'd to get efficiency and fuel economy. That will work. After all, there have been a number of successful, small displacement V8s prouced in the past. The GM 215 V8 fell to the "bigger is better" race of the 1960s, but stayed alive at Rover for decades.
Supercars/boutique cars are a whole different matter. They're going to get manufactured in relatively small numbers unless blatantly outlawed.

I love a V8. My fist car was a 1969 Pontiac Lemans convertible with a 350 High Output. Second car was a Camaro with 327 grocery getter engine. IMHO, Nothing beats the Pontiac V8 thump thump sound through two HushThrush mufflers. I will dream of my teetage years tonight.

Last edited:
This is not a political statement, though I will mention government policies.
With respect to everyone else's comments and opinions.
Seems to me the current US administration and most of Europe have a policy of ICEs are going away in favor of EVs. So the manufacturers will have to weigh the potential profits during the next decade +. Plenty of time to revive a V8.
However, it would probably be smaller displacement and turbo'd to get efficiency and fuel economy. That will work. Afterall, there have been a number of successful, small displacement V8s prouced in the past. The GM 215 V8 fell to the "bigger is better" race of the 1960s, but stayed alive at Rover for decades.
Supercars/boutique cars are a whole different matter. They're going to get manufactured in relatively small numbers unless blatantly outlawed.
BMW just introduced new V8 and they might have another generation. Making V8 that meets emissions standards is not a problem. Making it at certain price range and reliable is. Ford, GM etc. won’t jump into this race. They are already 15 years behind. Toyota is good example what happens when not keeping up with others. Their V6 TT engines are having some ridiculously basic issues, and they way they designed them (where they positioned certain components) shows that they are 20yrs behind.
So, it is easier just to improve on things they are already doing it, 4&6cyl turbos.

Haven't owned one in some number of years now. But my impression was that a small block V8 driven in a large & heavy sedan with a rear-end geared for highway driving would run pretty much forever in normal point A to point B usage. The rest of the car would disintegrate first before the engine. Even at high mileage on the odometer with a fair amount of oil burning and maybe needs to replace a freeze plug, a starter or an alternator or two. But they always seemed to start and get me to point B.

Haven't owned one in some number of years now. But my impression was that a small block V8 driven in a large & heavy sedan with a rear-end geared for highway driving would run pretty much forever in normal point A to point B usage. The rest of the car would disintegrate first before the engine. Even at high mileage on the odometer with a fair amount of oil burning and maybe needs to replace a freeze plug, a starter or an alternator or two. But they always seemed to start and get me to point B.
Other engines will run forever too used on hwy.
my brother is using his Mercedes E220 diesel in Europe for hwy trips, and soon will have around 600,000km with no any engine issues. And since it is Mercedes, body is still fine.

my brother is using his Mercedes E220 diesel in Europe for hwy trips, and soon will have around 600,000km with no any engine issues. And since it is Mercedes, body is still fine.
Correct, older technology diesels will put a V8 to shame regarding longevity.

Up north I used to sail occasionally on a head boat that generally stayed within 15-20 miles of port probably running 9-10 hours a day averaging 6 days a week for about 8 months of the year. I believe the diesel in that boat was about 40 years old with a few rebuilds along the way. Last I heard it was still running.

Correct, older technology diesels will put a V8 to shame regarding longevity.

Up north I used to sail occasionally on a head boat that generally stayed within 15-20 miles of port probably running 9-10 hours a day averaging 6 days a week for about 8 months of the year. I believe the diesel in that boat was about 40 years old with a few rebuilds along the way. Last I heard it was still running.
This is not older diesel. This is common-rail diesel with VG turbo.

The thing to me with the smaller turbo 4s/6s is...the tuning potential for massive/easy power is crazy and if you've never felt what a tuned turbo engine feels like....that boost is addictive! My 1.8L VW would run dead-even in the 1/4 drags a few mos. ago with a Chevy SS V8....think about that. When I told him after he ask me what I had in my wagon he was floored. 1.8 baby!

38psi @ 3800rpm on stock turbo + AWD = amazing fun. Was fun dragging SRT8-anythings.

My driver in the EU had over a million on his … most of it on Mobil 1 New Life 0W40 …

Yeah V8's are slowly becoming just for "musclecars" and carry a big markup, unlike an old reliable 350 or 302.

I gawk at how accepting society is becoming of expensive, low quality junk that seems to be purposefully designed to last less than each prior design.

Conan! What is best in life? "Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of the women!"
Conan the Barbarian.

Thought I'd miss the V8, also thought I'd miss the V6, but just because the MB has more gears than cylinders, I can firmly answer NO, I don't miss it.
Runs as good as any V8 I've ever owned (sound not included) and just because It has more gears than it does cylinders doesn't bother me a bit!
40 mpg highway is just an added bonus!

Back