Does anyone do their own front end alignment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by atikovi
I just drive the car up on ramps. Using a tape measure on the same tire rib on both sides, check the differance between the front and rear. Adjust to spec so the front is usually a little less than the rear. You now have the basic allignment. Take it for a drive. Car should go straight with hands off the wheel but the steering will be off center. Back on ramps and lock the steering wheel on center. Mark both tie rod ends, inner and outer with a grease pencil. Loosen the tie rod nuts and adjust the left tie rod in or out to compensate. Adjust the right an equal amount but in the opposite direction. You might have to adjust, drive, adjust again, a few times to get it perfect. I've always been able to get the steering wheel on dead center and with no wandering to one side after the 3rd or 4th adjustment.

I wish this post was up last night and I could have read it! But it's a short drive to the tire shop tomorrow, so I may not bother putting it on the ramps today.

My Jeep I usually get it close with a tape measure then go to a really good mom and pop tire shop in town. My BMW gets aligned by the dealer, one of the few things I let them do, but it is always spot on.

I finally did the home alignment with a string (actually, some twine) and two jack stands. The passenger's tire was spot on. The driver's side tire was off by what looks like an inch. The car drives straight with no hands on the wheel. I am loving the way it rides with all new components. I used Moog quick struts and they are impressive. Car rides much, MUCH smoother and takes bumps a lot better. The front end no longer has that sag as well that drove me nuts since the day I bought it.

I ended up taking my car to a shop and having it aligned. All four wheels ended up needing to be adjusted. All in all, if nothing else, the string method is definitely solid and made my drive to the alignment shop uneventful. I will likely look into it a bit deeper on RWD vehicles in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back