Does Anyone Buy Generic Products ?

I'll buy the generic when it's something simple where I don't perceive much if any quality difference, like medications, or a can of beans or canola oil, though when it comes to generic food I mean it's usually the store brand.

Paper towels no, and toilet paper, HECK NO!

Generic items are often the same manufacturer as the name brands just with different taste in some cases. You can see from the packaging, item weight, nutritional contents / RDAs, and ingredients.

OTC meds like Tylenol and Advil are totally fine with the store brand. Rx generics are allowed to be within +/- 5% potency which sounds a little scary buy my PharmD friends say it's nothing to worry about. Often the molecule for the meds is made from the name brand pharma company with the original patent and sent to the generic company where they make their own pill with different fillers.

History's Dumpster: Generic Products of The '80s's Dumpster: Generic Products of The '80s
Kingwood650007663198.jpg

Johnny Rotten had a pretty good sense of [spelling intentional] humour about this.

W1siZiIsIjI1MTg4NSJdLFsicCIsImNvbnZlcnQiLCItcXVhbGl0eSA5MCAtcmVzaXplIDIwMDB4MTQ0MFx1MDAzZSJdXQ.jpg

04_PIL.jpg

Depends on what it is. But it sounds like many are lumping together generics with store brands. I specifically remember when one local supermarket started selling a group of literal generics in the early 80s. The all came from a single distributor that used plain yellow labels.

maxresdefault.jpg

With medications - absolutely no problem. Ibuprofen is ibuprofen. There's almost nothing gained from using name-brand medications when there's a generic equivalent. If I need a decongestant, I'll buy the cheapest store brand or nonbrand. At Costco they've got some that actually says Perrigo on it, which is one of the largest makers of generic meds in the country. If I buy them as store brands, the blister packs typically state who the manufacturer is, like LNK or Perrigo.

With prepared foods - that's a very different thing since flavor profiles can be very distinct. But store branded food can be pretty good sometimes, like what I can find at Trader Joe's. There are also certain things that make no or little difference like cooking oil, but somehow people still pay a price premium for something with a neutral flavor that isn't terribly different. There are also certain foods that are essentially commodities like dried beans or frozen vegetables. I've found frozen vegetables from a no-name brand that seem to be fine compared to Birdseye or Green Giant branded. They all come from growers cooperatives anyways.
That's what I think of when you say generics instead of store brands. Thank god those days are over. Most store brands are pretty good.

I buy store brands for many items, not true generics. Trader Joe's, Costco, and The Berkeley Bowl (A small, local market with two stores) all carry some store brands that are well-priced and of good quality. I buy Amazon Basic AA alkaline batteries for my mouse, but for other purposes (flashlights, cameras) I'll buy Energizer Lithium AAs.

I'll buy the generic when it's something simple where I don't perceive much if any quality difference, like medications, or a can of beans or canola oil, though when it comes to generic food I mean it's usually the store brand.

Paper towels no, and toilet paper, HECK NO!

I've bought the plain label paper towels and TP from WM before. Paper towels are fine really. The only issue with the TP is that the rolls are so small, but if that's all you need (like going going backpacking) it's fine. I prefer that to institutional TP like you find in restaurants and stores. I don't get why anyone uses that.

Sure I regularly buy a generic version of something I'd normally seek a label on.

The question is which ones does you buy twice?

In some cases it's a clear easy choice - it's the same thing.

With others its notably worse.

In rare instances generic is better.

Other times use determines purchase - making 10 batches of free "rice krispy" treats you are giving away ?
Puffed rice and rice krispies can make a big difference in what that costs you.

I remember reading some old discussions by someone who railed on Costco going away from kosher hot dogs sold at their food courts. The history seems to be that they started off with Hebrew National but I recall they switched (at least in my region) to Sinai Kosher. And I really miss their Polish sausages. But they went to in-house manufacturing to save on money and stopped selling Polish sausages. But still - my kids absolutely loves that hot dog.

I also remember my local (pre-merger) Price Club. That actually had a hot dog cart outside with a large Vienna Beef banner against the wall. But they still had loss leader prices.
Yep,I remember the Hebrew national /polish dog days. They also used to have those giant pretzels many years ago. I'm not complaining for $1.50.

I buy store brands for many items, not true generics. Trader Joe's, Costco, and The Berkeley Bowl (A small, local market with two stores) all carry some store brands that are well-priced and of good quality. I buy Amazon Basic AA alkaline batteries for my mouse, but for other purposes (flashlights, cameras) I'll buy Energizer Lithium AAs.

Berkeley Bowl was actually a bowling alley. My parents took me there at least once when I was a kid. It had an art deco facade and the original facade was maintained for years with the Berkeley Bowl name, even after Berkeley Bowl Marketplace moved to what used to be a Safeway. The old Berkeley Bowl building was an Any Mountain store but when Berkeley Honda moved in they modified the facade (which wasn't the original anyways). Still looks art deco but they took out the Berkeley Bowl name.

When the pandemic first started generic was often the only thing available. When stuff did come back in stock generic was still a lot cheaper. In particular the walmart great value brand prices have risen to pretty much the name brand level. Some of the stuff quality is OK, some isn't that great, so I have mostly switched back to name brands, but that happened pretty recently.

I am all for saving a buck if I can and would buy generic more often if the cost savings were a bigger difference.

Most of the generic things I have got were fine and on par with major brands.

The packaging is my biggest complaint. Zip-lock bags will not reseal, cheap lids on foods that fall apart, etc.

I worked in the pharma industry for 35 years. I always took and sold generics except for heart meds and thryoid meds. I saw proof that they didn't work as well as the brand names. In recent years I've stopped buying generic pain relievers etc. The difference I believe is that the govt is not inspecting and checking like they used to do. They used to be very strict in regards to generics but not today. I try to stay away from china stuff but sometimes it's impossible. I started buying Advil and on the inside of the box it says Made in USA with ingredients from China.
I don not trust any Pharma company today.

Depends on the item. I will buy a lot of generic/store brand items, but there's some things where I will only buy the name brand item.

Such as Oreos. I don't care how much more they are.... LOL.
If you eat Pop Tarts / Toaster Pastries ..... then buying the Great Value ones from WM is truly a value and taste better than the Pop Tarts brand .

Sure, for many things it's cheaper and the quality makes no difference. For certain things, I prefer the name-brand.

I probably land around 75% generic/25% branded.

The first basket tends to be things like staples (flour/sugar/cooking oil), sandwich bread, dairy products (milk, butter, eggs, etc.) Ditto for some household supplies (I typically buy the store brand version of Bounty and Charmin for paper towels and toilet paper, etc.) as well as OTC medicine.

The second basket is mostly things like snack foods and soft drinks (pop/soda) - if I’m going to have food like Oreos, Coke, or Doritos, I don’t want a poor substitute, plus these are things I’ve noticed are substantially different. I also splurge on some nicer cheeses and lunch meat. I also tend to buy personal care products from major brands (Dove or Dial soap, Colgate toothpaste, etc.)

For me, it’s not about being “cheap” or chasing the lowest price possible - it’s more about getting a good value. I have no issue paying more for branded products if I feel that they are better/more enjoyable in an appreciable way. Things like store brand butter and cooking oil are an easy way to save a buck while shopping, which I care about since that’s a dollar I can do or buy something more enjoyable with.

It's rational to shop for best quality/price ratio, which usually means buying the chain-store brand, but not always. Maybe not for engine oil.
Store-branded groceries from Aldi and Walmart (for example) are often identical to each other----and sometimes to at least one name brand as well.
I rarely see generic groceries any more.

I worked in the pharma industry for 35 years. I always took and sold generics except for heart meds and thryoid meds. I saw proof that they didn't work as well as the brand names. In recent years I've stopped buying generic pain relievers etc. The difference I believe is that the govt is not inspecting and checking like they used to do. They used to be very strict in regards to generics but not today. I try to stay away from china stuff but sometimes it's impossible. I started buying Advil and on the inside of the box it says Made in USA with ingredients from China.
I don not trust any Pharma company today.
A lot of ingredients come from China. My company use a global supply chain and almost nothing comes from the USA. Glass vials used to be made in the USA but they moved production to Mexico. I've been around the world to inspect our suppliers. Almost all of them do a great job.

Back