Does amazon have a policy for returning wrong items to third party sellers?

Bought some toner from a third party on amazon. They shipped me the wrong item. I contacted them and they made it right. So far, they have not asked for the wrong item back. I want to get rid of it--can't use it--but I don't want them to ding my account the day after I toss it, or tell me that I have to return it or else.

I did contact amazon, but the only human I could talk to didn't understand my question and kept on repeating the same info that I wasn't asking about. Does anyone here know if Amazon has a policy on what third party sellers can require in this scenario?

Some sellers want their items returned. Others don't.

Why not ask the seller what they want you to do? You can normally contact the seller through Amazon: click the name of the seller in your Amazon order, and then you should see "Ask a question" button.

Bought some toner from a third party on amazon. They shipped me the wrong item. I contacted them and they made it right. So far, they have not asked for the wrong item back. I want to get rid of it--can't use it--but I don't want them to ding my account the day after I toss it, or tell me that I have to return it or else.

I did contact amazon, but the only human I could talk to didn't understand my question and kept on repeating the same info that I wasn't asking about. Does anyone here know if Amazon has a policy on what third party sellers can require in this scenario?
Dunno. I buy online from Walmart or Home Depot so I can just return an item to a local store. Hope this helps.

So, had a similar situation recently. Bought new step bars for my truck but bought the wrong brand. 20 minutes after ordering, I figured out they were the wrong ones, so I went to cancel. Amazon website was like, nah can't cancel, sorry. So I bought the other ones and was going to refuse shipment back to seller but got stuck at work so I couldn't. So I did a return on them through Amazon, dropped them off with UPS, got my refund on CC....good to go, right? 2 days later, the same exact box with the original shipping sticker shows back up at my house for the one that I returned. Amazon hasn't charged me nor said anything and it's a 90# box.....so....yeah...not really sure what's goin on but I guess FB marketplace here they come BNIB! :D

This is a single item that is just not worth my time to sell. I was going to toss it if I can't get anyone to claim it for their printer via work email.

I think I'd contact amazon for something this big/expensive.

[QUOTE="I So, had a similar situation recently. Bought new step bars for my truck but bought the wrong brand. 20 minutes after ordering, I figured out they were the wrong ones, so I went to cancel. Amazon website was like, nah can't cancel, sorry. So I bought the other ones and was going to refuse shipment back to seller but got stuck at work so I couldn't. So I did a return on them through Amazon, dropped them off with UPS, got my refund on CC....good to go, right? 2 days later, the same exact box with the original shipping sticker shows back up at my house for the one that I returned. Amazon hasn't charged me nor said anything and it's a 90# box.....so....yeah...not really sure what's goin on but I guess FB marketplace here they come BNIB! :D
[/QUOTE]

Meaning, Amazon will not hold me liable to return it--or that you would ignore any emails the third party sends you from that point on?
Both. If they want to send a prepaid label to return it, fine. They almost never will. I’ve never had someone refund before asking for it back. At my job we spend about $50k a month on Amazon. Plenty of experience

How did you handle the process, go through Amazon's "return" steps or did you just email the vendor directly ? If you went through Amazon (sounds like you didn't), it would give you your return options including "you don't need to return the item" type response. If you dealt with the vendor and they said nothing about returning it, I'd hang on to it for a short time and if no more contact, recycle it like a used/empty toner (toner cartridges have some pretty nasty stuff in 'em).

I went directly to them, and eventually I got the correct item. Yeah, I avoided Amazon.

How did you handle the process, go through Amazon's "return" steps or did you just email the vendor directly ? If you went through Amazon (sounds like you didn't), it would give you your return options including "you don't need to return the item" type response. If you dealt with the vendor and they said nothing about returning it, I'd hang on to it for a short time and if no more contact, recycle it like a used/empty toner (toner cartridges have some pretty nasty stuff in 'em).

I went directly to them, and eventually I got the correct item. Yeah, I avoided Amazon.
Since you have a way to contact them, ask them what to do. Odds are since they didn't tell you initially, they're going to tell you to throw it out, recycle it, give it away, etc.

With the replacement process already resolved and no mention of returning the wrong item, it appears this is resolved unless the seller later makes a request for returning it. Check their Returns and Refunds policy page on amazon.

Beyond that, I'd just hold off getting rid of it for a month. Why so anxious to not wait, it's not like this is a huge item requiring a big burden to store it? If you can't sell it, offer up for free on Craigslist or wherever, don't see any point in tossing in a landfill if there's noting wrong with it besides wrong item.

Lastly you wrote "toner", did you really mean toner or a whole cartridge? While there is often a substantial difference between the waxy toner used on color lasers and the matte toner used on monochrome lasers, it may be that the toner you received whether in bulk or a cartridge, is usable on your present cart by refilling it... up to you whether to bother researching this but I can usually get at least 2-3 tours of duty out of an OEM cart by refilling with bulk toner. Aftermarket carts not so much, particularly if the drum is built in then the drum is usually worn out by sometime during 2nd tour of duty, or sooner still if the aftermarket cart came out of the box using refurb parts including an old drum.

Back