Does a phone's replaceable SIM carry the 16/32/64 mg?

When a phone advertises 16/32/64 mg, is this carried on the same replaceable SIM card that is programmable with your phone number and has your phone directory data and such? If so, if I want to get more memory, do I go to the phone store and they replace my SIM card? My phone has 16 mg and I want to increase it. I have a LG Phoenix 2 phone.

If you're talking Megabytes, no, the advertised storage is internal to the phone. You can add storage via a microSD card, you would need to check the phones specs to see what size SD card it will recognized and what speed the card needs to be.

When a phone advertises 16/32/64 mg,
I think you mean GB (gigabytes) and not MB (megabytes).

And no, the SIM card is not used for mass storage. That 16/32/64/128 GB is separate storage, either built permanently into your phone (non-expandable) or expandable through a microSD card.

Your LG phone does have a microSD card slot, so yes, you could purchase a microSD card and use it for extra storage. It looks like 32 GB is the max card size your phone can support.

Last edited:
I hate it when people just say "upgrade ur phone" but yours may be getting pretty old by now and it makes as much sense to get something newer with more internal memory. Also if it is not already operating on an LTE network, it may stop working within the next couple years if not sooner.

thats a 4 year old phone with low end specs, its not really upgradeable. even if you use a microsd for more storage. it only really works for photos and video.

you should have around 10GB free after the phone apps and such.

If you just need storage for pictures and video a 10$ microsd will work.

for anything else just upgrade the phone its old and was a $50 phone then.

An LG radiant 32GB is around 80 if you can get the deal.. totally blows away the phoenix 2, there is a phoenix 4 now but its 16GB space.

a bunch of target locations have the nokia 3.1 on clearance for 30$ right now
it is 2GB ram and 32GB storage.

Many walmart locations have the 2020 moto g stylus 128GB for 75$-(75% off) or 150$-(50% off)

Last edited:
I hate it when people just say "upgrade ur phone" but yours may be getting pretty old by now and it makes as much sense to get something newer

thats a 4 year old phone with low end specs,
Good points.

Also, depending on how it was used, the battery in a 4-year-old phone typically doesn't hold as much charge anymore, so you end up having to recharge it much sooner.

Last edited:
I use the phone very little, only when I'm away from the house and only for calls and occasionally for photos and generally I try to use my tablet for the photos. I use between 150-400 minutes/month at $8.25/month for 500 minutes and have the data manager turned off. I occasionally use Wi-Fi, occasionally meaning weeks or months. With the data manager off, I lose 15%-25% of the battery for the day. I see no reason to buy another unless it's incredibly cheap.

People haven't been storing their contact list on the SIM card for a long time. I think ever since people started using smart phone they have been moving to the 'iCloud' or 'Google' accounts. SIM card these days only keep the network band you should start logging onto and the roaming list, not much more than that.

Back