Dodge Caravan TPMS issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2010 Grand Caravan w/ just under 50,000 miles. This is a great car but for about the last 7500 miles I have been experiencing an issue where when driving on the highway around 70-75mph, the TPMS light come on and chimes, flashes for a minute or 2 and then will stay lit until I slow down for traffic or an off ramp. Ive had the van at the dealer 9 times under my manufacturer extended warranty for this issue. The diagnosis is that all 4 sensors send a 0 reading triggering the light. Chrysler replaced all 4 sensors under warranty and the first road trip it did it again, its the same diagnostic each time and the dealer simply reprograms the sensors and when I hit the road it does it again. The dealer brought up the fact I have a cell phone and an iPass (toll way pass) in my windshield that they send interference to the system. Ive owned this van since new, ive always had a cell phone and an iPass and never once had this problem. I put new Michelin Defender tires on at 29,000 miles, other than that, nothing has been changed. The sensors worked fine up until about 7500 miles. Any suggestions? Ive only got about 3 months left of my Mopar Maxcare warranty so I want this issue resolves before it starts coming out of my pocket!

What is the pressure reading at the time the sensors are set off? Without this data, you have nothing to resolve this issue. FWIW

Oldtommy

The OEM pressure is 35psi cold, all 4 tires are at 35psi and the spare set at 60. The TPMS system is triggered to go on at a 5psi difference. According to the manual, if the tire light comes on and stays on, that symbolizes a low tire. The light flashing for 1 minute then staying on means a problem with the system. According to the manual, my problem indicates the system has an issue. According to the dealer, my iPass and cell phone interference are the issue.

The TPMS send the pressure values to the van via radio, which is subject to interference. It may not be your phone or ipass that is interfering, it may be something new along your route. If the light goes out after a while it would indicate that the interference is gone and normal function is again detected.

Does your van not have an individual PSI readout for each tire? My veh does and it was easy to figure which sensor went bad when i had this issue. Not sure how to diagnose it on vehs with a TPMS like yours however.

Lemon law a 6 year old model year veh? Thats the first I've ever heard that.

My 2009 does a similar thing. On the highway at 70-80 miles an hour, it chimes, the readouts go from 35 PSI to zero and the TPMS lights come on. I haven't looked into it too much.

You said they "reprogrammed" your TPMS system and that didn't fix the problem? They should have replaced the sensors in the wheels. The TPMS sensors in the wheel have a lithium battery powering them. If the batteries go bad, they will never be fixed no matter how many times they reprogram them. Replace the sensors in the wheels and I bet your problem is fixed. They are just trying to kick you on down the road the cheapest way possible.

Through my warranty, Chrysler has already replaced the sensors incase it was a battery failure and that didn't fix the issue. I have the mid level TPMS system, it doesn't snow the individual psi per tire but the EVIC will give a readout as to which tire is low if that's the case. I've tried driving with no phone/anything in the car to produce a radio interference and still every time we hit the highway this issue happens. I tried to apply the lemon law to this van back in 2010 but Chrysler offered me a portion of my money back and a 7 year 70,000 mile full bumper to bumper warranty to keep this van.....considering they even covered my tires/brakes under the warranty I don't think I walked away too bad on this deal.

The TPMS has a receiver which "hears" each of the sensors. It must be the issue: I mean, all four sensors were replaced, and all four (when the issue occurs) are read as 0psi. Interference of some sort occurs--or the receiver itself stops working once warmed up.

Cellphone is causing interference? Yeah right... If that was true, wouldn't Chrysler have issued a TSB for people to "hang up, TURN OFF and drive"? Methinks they don't want to debug this issue, as it might take hours and wind up nothing more than a bad wire.

Is it time based (only happens after 30 min) or speed based (only above 75mph)? If you slow down, can the tires be read again? No, I don't know what is going on, but someone familiar with the vehicle and what goes on around those times might.

My Camry did something similar for the first few years we had it. Then it stopped. We never looked into it. Maybe we got a new set of tires (Michelin to Michelin, but different kinds) around the same time; but I sincerely doubt the dealer swapped sensors on us, nor touched the sensors.

Does the state of IL require TPMS to be working in order to pass state inspection? If not... I'd cut a piece of black tape to the proper size and use that to fix the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back