Dodge Caravan 3rd generation PS pump fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a 98 Caravan All Wheel Drive which is a rare beast. I am not sure what the pump initially required, but at some point there was a bulletin out advising that ATF+4 should instead go in the pump.

The high pressure line recently went bad on me after having BG ATF Semi Synthetic Fluid/Flush in there for about 4 years. On a side note, the O-rings were in bad shape...swollen up and broken or ready to break....not sure if the BG did that or if it was even designed to be run long term.

I replaced the line which requires moving the pump and tons of other parts. The pump had a plastic pulley and it appeared to be damaged. After a huge rigamorole with remanunfactured pumps I gave up and put a used pump in there.

Due to the sheer amount of parts involved in replacing the pump and lines along with severely limited access due to the AWD system I want to treat this pump the best that I can.

So I went to refill the reservoir post repair and found some leaks. I had so many different leaking points (all eventually addressed) that I ran out of ATF+4. I used what I had laying around since enough was enough and I had to get the vehicle going.

I used:

1) More of the BG stuff....about 5 years old
2) A bit of Dexron Mercon ATF that I had laying around....about 5 years old
3) A bit of Advance Auto Power Steering fluid....about 5 years old.

The pump seems to run fine on this mix after bleeding.

What would you put in there? I am a bit concerned about putting ATF+4 in there. I am concerned about leaks and think it's a bit thin. I am not super happy about the connection at the high pressure line where it meets the PS rack. I really had to crank on it with a Crow's foot and 1/2 drive to make sure that it didn't leak even with the new line and O-ring.

I was thinking of max-life ATF but hey that isn't ATF+4.

I guess lots of turkey basting is in order?
smile.gif

Thanks

Last edited:
Chryslers have long used ATF in the power steering system. It was Chrysler ATF+3 originally, superceded by ATF+4. Both of our Mopar vans used ATF+4 (2003 and 2007). The only comment I have is they seemed to just trash the fluid, and the pump would start whining after 6 months or a year. I got into a habit of doing a suck-and-fill at every oil change to keep the pump quiet.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Chryslers have long used ATF in the power steering system. It was Chrysler ATF+3 originally, superceded by ATF+4. Both of our Mopar vans used ATF+4 (2003 and 2007). The only comment I have is they seemed to just trash the fluid, and the pump would start whining after 6 months or a year. I got into a habit of doing a suck-and-fill at every oil change to keep the pump quiet.

Heh, well I knew it ran for a few years with the BG in there.....so I know it was at least *OK*. Maybe I'll baste it for a while and ultimately use the Redline D4 I have laying around that I use in the tranny.

ATF+4 is good for the power steering system. I wouldn't bother with anything fancy just use the cheapest ATF+4 you can buy.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Folks -

This vehicle does not call for MS9602/ATF+4

http://www.wjjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wj_1900503.pdf

1996-2000 Caravan (NS) specs MS5931

http://www.valvolinechemicals.com/sites/default/files/MAXLIFE-Power-Steering-Fluid-Stop-Leak.pdf

This meets MS5931, and is available locally; it's what I personally use in anything that it's appropriate for. Additionally, I can confirm that it does exactly what it says in regards to GM pump whine.

Very interesting. Everyone on the Caravan forum swears that it does. Time for some MAXLIFE!

P.S. This was the stuff that I was running.

Last edited:
I have 2 1994 Dodge Grand Caravans. I just use W/M generic PS fluid. Some years ago I bought a gallon of it for something like $5 when the local W/M was remodeling. I'm still using it. Not worried about age.

If the repairs were done properly [it sounds like they were] I wouldn't be concerned with leaks and use ATF+4.

I have a 96 Grand Voyager 3.3 and i could not find the correct fluid to use in that either ...I finally used Valvoline Max Life power steering fluid not sure if that is correct but it works..Im pretty sure there is a filter of some kind in there that is partially clogged also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back