Do you use a magnetic drain plug?

As I sit here, drinking my coffee and collecting belly lint, I found this thread to be quite interesting. I’m older than most redwoods’ so I’ve known about mag plugs and mag filters for a long time, but never considered them. I thought they were kind of gimmicky, but as one poster stated, “it can’t hurt”. I think I’ll give it a try. 🤷‍♂️

I use Gold plugs and other magnetic drain plugs on applications where there isn't an oil filter. I have a 1968 Gravely walk behind tractor with a 10hp cast iron Kohler. It doesn't have an oil filter, and the engine was just rebuilt a few years ago, so I feel a magnetic plug is worth it. Will it make a noticeable difference? Who knows, but it wasn't expensive and doesn't really require any extra care.

Dimpleplug, GoldPlug, PSR, Votex, and even the generic magnetic drainplugs from the local autopart store, all work effectively.
Filtermags work great.

I do not recommended magnets on the outside of a pan.
Why not outside the pan? I would think pulling the magnet just prior to draining the oil would let the oil flush out the metal particle stuck to the pan.

I've been thinking about getting a magnetic plug for the Camry. If you've thought about it and decided not to use one, I'm curious as to why not. Do you see a downside, and if so, what may that be? If you just don't think it's needed, I get it, as that's something I think about as well. But it couldn't hurt anything, or can it?

I've been thinking about getting a magnetic plug for the Camry. If you've thought about it and decided not to use one, I'm curious as to why not. Do you see a downside, and if so, what may that be? If you just don't think it's needed, I get it, as that's something I think about as well. But it couldn't hurt anything, or can it?

I've seen posts from poeple that had cheap ones come apart mainly they claimed the magnet came out of the plug.

I've seen posts from poeple that had cheap ones come apart mainly they claimed the magnet came out of the plug.
OK, I can see how that might make someone shy. The simple solution is to buy a good-quality plug. Dimple and Gold seem to be mentioned in that category.

Involves me doing something (effort) for something with seemingly no gain (return). ROI isn’t there.

If it was OPE, or some old beater I had attachment to, different story.

My experience is limited, but, the few vehicle’s i’ve had, that i’ve taken over 200k, did not get sent down the line because of engine problems.

I get it, its a couple bucks. Worse ways to spend money.

I usually find a small amount of dust on mine. I make mine from samarium cobalt magnets as they don't lose gauss when they get hot.

Why not outside the pan? I would think pulling the magnet just prior to draining the oil would let the oil flush out the metal particle stuck to the pan.
It doesn't.

And with too many sticky fingered techs out there, you'll never know when it disappears.

I have them in the Subaru. The differential and transmission plugs both have magnets from the factory. I added a Subaru magnetic drain plug to the engine a while ago. It was little more than the cost of a new non-magnetic drain plug, and the corners of the hex head are nice and undamaged.

Some (millions?) of ferrous particles zip probably past the magnet without getting captured but get magnetized. And some will likely get past the filter. Where will they attach themselves? :ROFLMAO:
Anything that might (and this is highly doubtful)be temporarily magnetized will lose that with any amount of heat.

Try it magnetize something like a pin then warm it up with a match and watch it all go away.

Added one to my Subaru, it hardly gets any gray paste. My Miata has an original one for the manual transmission, that one gets fuzzy.

Dimpleplug, GoldPlug, PSR, Votex, and even the generic magnetic drainplugs from the local autopart store, all work effectively.
Filtermags work great.

I do not recommended magnets on the outside of a pan.
Thanks for the list of plugs. Just bought 2 Votex plugs. One for the engine and the other for the manual transmission (I think they’re the same size, or I’ll have an extra)

Back