Do you use a magnetic drain plug?

If you do please tell us what brand and your assessment of it's effectiveness?

Would you recommend a filter magnet instead, or a trans magnet used on the outside of the oil pan?

I do. I have used Gold Plug with success in engines, transmissions, and differentials. They collect that fine "paste" of iron, so they're doing something.

My 4 Volvos with automatics came from the factory with magnetic drain plugs. They collect the paste as well. So, I reckon they're working and since it costs extra money to make a magnetic plug, the manufacturer must have figured there was a benefit to that cost.

For some transmissions, there are magnets on the inside of the pan that collect the same paste (e.g. the NAG-1 in both Mercedes) and in that case, I would stick with the factory set up.

I have added magnetic drain plugs to Volvo differentials, and I am really pleased with both the ease of changing fluid, and collection of whatever magnetic debris was in there.

More in this forum: https://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?29700-Angle-Gear-sealing-and-modification/page2

I've since improved the process, using a Time-Sert thread insert in the transfer case (angle gear) for better thread durability.

No, not for the engine. Oil filters work better. I would like to get magnetized fill plugs for my manual transmission and differential. Installing a magnet externally won't accomplish anything. The magnet would have to be extremely strong.

No, not for the engine. Oil filters work better. I would like to get magnetized fill plugs for my manual transmission and differential. Installing a magnet externally won't accomplish anything. The magnet would have to be extremely strong.
What's interesting is that in the engine, several engines in my case, even with excellent filters, the plug still collects that fine magnetic paste. Not much of it, but it clearly wasn't caught by the filter.

So, does collecting it make a difference? No actual idea. But pretty sure it doesn't hurt, either.

Filter mag makes strong ones

Only if from factory. I figure, I won’t own long enough to matter, to add to the engine.

Heh, when I owned my VW the drain plug on the engine was never removed!

Got a magnetic drain plug in my old Volvo going on 20 years. Always collects a fine gray paste. Have some strong external magnets on some of the trans pans on my other vehicles.

i have them on both cars as well; every OCI they came out super clean pretty much

its just my habit of having them

In what situation is it one or the other?
"Not for the engine". That's why there are oil filters in place.Meaning I would not add a magnet on the engine at all... I thought I made it clear to understand. Maybe more coffee would help.

I use one for my oil pan, r. diff, Haldex clutch, and bevel box.

If you do please tell us what brand and your assessment of it's effectiveness?

Would you recommend a filter magnet instead, or a trans magnet used on the outside of the oil pan?
Yup - typically gold plugs.

Wherever I can get a magnet I use them.

A filter mag will be more effective because of the flows proximity to magnetic flux.

The plug helps clean a bit but is more useful as a diagnostic tool.

I have a 2013 Toyota Tacoma four-wheel drive with the 4 L V6 engine automatic I use the Dimple brand magnetic drain plugs in the front differential transfer case and rear differential when I take the engine drain plug out no visible means of magnetization on it to a very very slight dust that you can barely see on a white napkin also using the regular standard Toyota oil filter for that engine and Alternate the Fram xg3600 version results of the same either way the last time I changed the transfer case and the rear differential I would say that there was very little magnetization magnetized particles I think that is also partly due to using the mobile one 75-90 LS lubrication again I use a Dimple brand magnetic drain plugs because they're supposed to have something nidium type magnet but a search can find them easily they're not cheap but they work very well for my case

In my 2006 Honda Volvo XC90 all-wheel drive I use a magnetic drain plug that I bought from IPC believe they're in Washington state or Oregon and then there's another Volvo aftermarket seller of original parts in Milford Connecticut I can't remember the the name right now same results

TOMB
Convert

Not sure I agree. Ive put a magnet on the filter on my 98 S-10 ZR2, and the (factory supplied) magnetic drain plug still collects a fine paste.

Yup - typically gold plugs.

Wherever I can get a magnet I use them.

A filter mag will be more effective because of the flows proximity to magnetic flux.

The plug helps clean a bit but is more useful as a diagnostic tool.

Same here. Good plug is a great option. Dimple also is a great option but $$$.

I run $11 eBay magnetic plugs in my Mercedes’ diesels, because someone modifies oe drain plugs so they fit the (M14?) hole but keep the 13mm head.

Everything I can get a magnetic plug into, gets one…

Have them on all of the fun fleet, mostly for diagnostic purposes; seeing what ferrous material they catch.

Had a long chat w/ our A&P a while back when we first bought our airplane. It came with a strap of magnets around the filter that I was inclined to toss. He recommended we keep it solely as another diagnostic aid in addition to always cutting the filter; if something is being held to the side of the can, you know its ferrous. For that purpose, it works.

Dimpleplug, GoldPlug, PSR, Votex, and even the generic magnetic drainplugs from the local autopart store, all work effectively.
Filtermags work great.

I do not recommended magnets on the outside of a pan.

Back