Do you trust website or label?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is oil related.

Super Tech Full-syn 75w90 (is almost too good to be true).. For $5.86/qt you get this.. according to walmart.com https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-Full-syn-75w90-Gearoil-Qt/309470123

Super Tech Full Synthetic 75w90 Gear Oil Quart Super Tech 75W-90 Full Synthetic Gear Oil is formulated with synthetic base oils to provide superior gear protection over a wide range of operating and ambient temperatures. Made with premium extreme pressure additives, rust preventatives, and antifoam additives, this oil protects hypoid gears, manual transmissions, gearboxes, passenger car and light truck conventional differentials, transmission and steering gears.

Formulated with 100 percent synthetic base oils
Provides superior gear protection
Made with premium extreme pressure additives, rust preventatives and antifoam additives
Recommended where API GL-5 and MT-1, MACK GO-J, SAE J2360 and MIL-PRF-2105E (PG-2) are specified

The label has no mention of MACK GO-J, SAE J2360 and MIL-PRF-2105E

Obviously someone gave information to Walmart to publish those specs.. however that someone did not feel the need to print on the label.

The closest you can come to getting any kind of wording about SAEJ2360 and Full Synthetic is Valvoline at $14/qt.

Do you trust the 'Recommended where..' only to be found on walmart.com? Or do you pay $7 more a quart for the true cert oil?

I live in the "Recommended" world with Amsoil Signature Series Line, so I would have no problem trusting anything SuperTech made by reputable companies like Warren etc.

If it was dollar store lubricants made by someone that we didn't know was reputable then no, I wouldn't.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by krismoriah72
Obviously someone gave information to Walmart to publish those specs.. however that someone did not feel the need to print on the label.

"did not feel the need" ? You have any idea of the volume that they're dealing with, the processes they may have for labels that have to take place long before they physically print them ? They could have labels pre-printed - hundreds of thousands or a million already done. They're not going to throw them out because they improved the product or add add'l specs that the oil now meets. The label, as printed, provides true information, it simply doesn't provide all information. It's like a packaging says "Contains 5 widgets" but you open it and it contains (6). Who will complain about that ? As long as you actually get more or something better, this is acceptable.

I would just tend to check the approved list. Valvoline is notorious for not getting approvals, just adds a recommended label. If there's a choice between approved and recommended, I'd go with approved every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back