Do you think Syntec "full synthetic" may get upgraded to Group IV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the article:

"Modern Group III base oils have properties which allow them to perform at high levels - in many cases matching or exceeding the performance of traditional synthetic oils."

Nough said...

Also "Unfortunately for PAO producers, their feedstock prices will continue to be relatively high, and the authors believe that this will relegate PAO-based lubricants to smaller, specialized markets in the future.
Driven by the substantially lower price of Group III oils, the synthetic automotive lubricant market in North America is rapidly converting most of its volumes to Group III base stocks."

Mobil 1 pushers - get real!
Mobil 1 will continue to sell thanks to the general ignorance of an average Joe, but the times of Mobil 1's complete dominance of the synthetic segment are over.
Move on and stop repeating the silly mantra of Mobil 1 being the only "real" synthetic out there.
These are the motor oil forums, after all!

[ March 29, 2006, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: vad ]

Castrol syntec forever!
bowdown.gif
group III. I also use platinum. Mobil1
thumbsdown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by speedtc:
Castrol syntec forever!
bowdown.gif
group III. I also use platinum. Mobil1
thumbsdown.gif

I'll be right there with you -- just as soon as Syntec is selling for $3.50 (or less) per quart. In the meantime, I make a special exception for GC, which of course, we know is not in the same category as the other Syntecs.

quote:

Originally posted by vad:
From the article:

"Modern Group III base oils have properties which allow them to perform at high levels - in many cases matching or exceeding the performance of traditional synthetic oils."

Nough said...

Im slowly stepping off the M1 wagon...but in that 2003 article, that uses 2001 refrences, I never saw the group III meet or exceed in any of the catagories or graphs...granted it came close, but showed no "meeting or exceeding".

Im slowly becoming interested in group III's but Im still a little confused(learning)...are these considered EOP's?

This group this or that syn thing is such bullshi.t. Are we not talking about street cars here?
ekpolk...why should it be cheaper? It costs castrol more to formulate it's oil than mobil1. We should be asking why mobil1 is running their prices up. Your comment that castrol should be $3.50 has no basis. Also i'm sure synpower and qpower will also be on your too expensive list.

I think people (speedtc) have a point here... The amount of reformulation and additives put into a group III may make it almost as expensive as a group IV oil. I for one want a true synthetic so I won't use Castrol Syntec (GC excluded) and am willing to pay for things like Amsoil.

People who don't care should either decide if they want an expensive group III - Castrol, Valvoline, what not or go with a lower group I or II dino oil (Penzoil 5w30).

quote:

This group this or that syn thing is such bullshi.t. Are we not talking about street cars here?
ekpolk...why should it be cheaper? It costs castrol more to formulate it's oil than mobil1. We should be asking why mobil1 is running their prices up. Your comment that castrol should be $3.50 has no basis. Also i'm sure synpower and qpower will also be on your too expensive list.

Not my battle, just my observations...the INDUSTRY says it costs less...read the above(previous page) link...
quote:

These oils provide equivalent performance to traditional PAO-based synthetic oils for most products and can be manufactured in volumes and at price points unachievable by PAO.

And I believe PP has shown that a group III can be at a price point that refects this...so why not Castrol? Maybe cause they are a "blender"? I DONT KNOW *shrugs*

BTW, how do you know it costs Castrol more than M1???

quote:

1. Why should it be cheaper? Why not? My statement certainly has a basis: it's called economics. That's what I'd be willing to pay for their G-III product. If you're willing to pay more, good for you, go for it. Now, where's the evidence supporting yor claim that the G-III base costs Castrol more than a G-IV or V? Again, you need to account for the economics. My prediction: the moment that a PAO formulation becomes cheaper for Castrol to bottle than a G-III is the moment Castrol will get "upgraded" to one of those other bases (there's my answer to the original poster...).

2. Street cars? Motor oil? Yep, that's what we're talking about here. Get your emotions back in check, none of this is going to result in the end of civilization. There's simply no reason or justification to be rude and uncivil about any of this. Relaaaaaaaaaaaaax, it's just oil. . .

3. Credit where credit is due. I do use German Castrol. Those of us who were around for "the study" know it's not of the same ken as the rest of the Syntec line. I don't mind paying the price for the 0w-30, because in my own personal calculation, it's worth it. To me, the others aren't. Just that simple.

quote:

Originally posted by ShortBuSX:
And I believe PP has shown that a group III can be at a price point that refects this

PP is a group V oil, except for the euro oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back