Do you run synthetic oil longer than conventional?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used Mobil 1 since it hit the market as a 5W-20 product.
I always change it once a year in all the vehicles I have owned except for my BMW Z3, which I change once every 2 years (low use vehicle).

Consumer reports once ran an extended test of Mobil 1 on a fleet of NYC taxi cabs and found the motors clean, with no extra wear after extend use beyond normal change intervals.

I have never had a sludge or varnish issue or mechanical issue except for a broken intake valve in a 3.3 Mopar motor in my mini van. Not oil related.

I currently use 0W-40 in all my vehicles, but used to use 5W-20 EP Mobil 1.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rfeir
I always change it once a year in all the vehicles I have owned except for my BMW Z3, which I change once every 2 years (low use vehicle).

Consumer reports once ran an extended test of Mobil 1 on a fleet of NYC taxi cabs and found the motors clean, with no extra wear after extend use beyond normal change intervals.

I have never had a sludge or varnish issue or mechanical issue except for a broken intake valve in a 3.3 Mopar motor in my mini van. Not oil related.

It's great to hear from old timers that used M1 5-20 back in the 70s. I started using M1 5-20 in 1978 and my experience has been the same. I do 10K OCIs and have never had a problem. My engines stay very clean and not one engine ever showed signs of abnormal wear.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
15000km intervals. Using whatever name brand syn I have in stock.
I've got engines with mileages high enough to equal a moon visit,and the top ends remain spotless through the fill hole.
A fool and his money.........

That works for your usage, but would you recommend 15000km OCI for someone with a factory warranty that spec Full Syn oil only with 10000km MAX OCI and 1-2km short tripping in the winter?

I agree your oci makes sense for you. Trying to cookie cutter recommendations for everyone without knowing specific vehicle and use is nearly impossible and "fool-ish"

Last edited:
Conventional 5k
Synthetic 7.5k

Maintaining 5 cars the only reason I went to syn was to avoid a few oil changes per year. I don't mind changing the oil, but, I don't consider it fun. Particularly during the winter in an unheated garage.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
The question is what would you do? Twice as long? No longer at all? What is your number?

I have ran a conventional for 10K and a synthetic for 15K. Both oils still had life left in them when drained. Pick your poison...

All 2010_FX4 UOAs To Date

It's your many used oil analysis that have shown me the light.
Only an idiot spends more than they have too. Why would I want to get under whatever vehicle I'm driving to drain oil that's still serviceable just to pour in oil that's serviceable. It's makes no sense.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: Clevy
15000km intervals. Using whatever name brand syn I have in stock.
I've got engines with mileages high enough to equal a moon visit,and the top ends remain spotless through the fill hole.
A fool and his money.........

That works for your usage, but would you recommend 15000km OCI for someone with a factory warranty that spec Full Syn oil only with 10000km MAX OCI and 1-2km short tripping in the winter?

I agree your oci makes sense for you. Trying to cookie cutter recommendations for everyone without knowing specific vehicle and use is nearly impossible and "fool-ish"

Where did I recommend anything.
Read my post.
The only thing fool-ish is your interpretation of it.
Let's beak it down for you just so there's no miscommunication.

I say I've got vehicles with mikes equal to a moon visit.
Are you inferring that those vehicles are in some way new,or under warranty. If so that would be an error on your part not mine.
Warranty or not. Do a used oil analysis. Make a choice from there.
No where am I saying for anyone to do what I do. Not without doing some research first anyway.
So get over yourself bud.

The QSAD in Mom's 2.2 had sheard to a 20 grade and the TBN was < 1. The QSUD in my 2.2, at the same interval, still had plenty of TBN left and was still within grade (although it had thickened to ~12 cst). That's about as direct a comparison I can make.

So, in the case of our particular cars, I would run synthetic QS longer than conventional QS. Other brands of oil, who knows? The UOA would tell the tale, if I got one.

If a vehicle is under warranty, the specified intervals have to be followed with the correct oil spec. That being said, if all a car specs is the latest SN GF5, conventional is cheaper so that is my first pic. Turbo'd engines (regardless of output) deserve synthetic IMO and spec'd oil should also be used.

Once out of warranty and extended synthetic intervals are desired, its best to do a UOA and find that sweet spot.

That taxi test was about 30 years ago.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

That taxi test was about 30 years ago.
And?

Once a year oil and filter with synthetic. I only put about 3000 a year on my truck since I am retired, but it is all short trips. Yea, I know I maybe could go longer, but I do a bunch of preventive maintenance items each year, needed or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back