Do you put your auto in N when stopped?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just wondering how many of you put your automatic trannies into nuetral when stopped at a light? I've been doing this for years under the assumption that it is saving the tranny a bit of wear and tear. Does this sound right to you?

Mikie

quote:

Originally posted by Weatherlite:
I was just wondering how many of you put your automatic trannies into nuetral when stopped at a light? I've been doing this for years under the assumption that it is saving the tranny a bit of wear and tear. Does this sound right to you?

Mikie

Good questions. Have you ever wore out a tranny before? I've done what you way on occation, but not enough for it to be a habit. I have looked stupid stepping on the gas and forgetting to put it back in gear though
pat.gif

I've always done it with straight shifts, to reduce wear on the clutch release bearing. The habit carried over with the automatics I've owned. I'm not sure what good it actually does, if any.

Yep, you'll get more friction material in the pan. Idling just spins the converter.

Now with a manual, shift to N. The bearings will thank you, the diaphragm (and therefore clutch material) will thank you, and even some gears too, depending on trans.

David

To understand if this is helping or not, it might help to understand how the transmission does what it does.

The key to the modern automatic transmission is the torque converter. It takes the place of a clutch in a manual transmission.

A direct descendant of an earlier component called a fluid coupling, the torque converter offers the advantage of multiplying the turning power provided by the engine. It is connected to the motor by means of a metal rod known as the transmission shaft (sometimes called the input shaft), which fits next to but does not touch the engine crankshaft. Repeat: there is no direct connection between the engine and the transmission.

Instead, the engine turns the transmission by means of a process called hydraulic coupling.

Think of two electric fans in a room. Line them up a few feet apart, one in front of the other, both facing the same direction. Now turn on the rear fan. What happens? If you've turned the fan up high enough, and if the fans are close enough together, the front fan will begin to turn as well. In this same manner does the engine crankshaft influence the transmission shaft, causing it to rotate.

The identical process occurs in a torque converter, except that transmission fluid takes the place of air.

In this example, move the shifter and watch where power is flowing through the transmission in what gear. You'll notice that in park and in neutral that the power is stopped at the torque converter and does not produce any movement in the clutch area. Click Here to see what is moving in what gear.

Now this is a simple basic concept but in drive and such, the power is transmitted but only if the rpm's are such that it will cause the torque converter to convert the power to the transmission. Look at how a torque converter produces the power out...

A torque converter is a type of fluid coupling, which allows the engine to spin somewhat independently of the transmission. If the engine is turning slowly, such as when the car is idling at a stoplight, the amount of torque passed through the torque converter is very small, so keeping the car still requires only a light pressure on the brake pedal.

If you were to step on the gas pedal while the car is stopped, you would have to press harder on the brake to keep the car from moving. This is because when you step on the gas, the engine speeds up and pumps more fluid into the torque converter, causing more torque to be transmitted to the wheels

-
This is how the parts of the torque converter connect to the transmission and engine

The pump inside a torque converter is a type of centrifugal pump. As it spins, fluid is flung to the outside, much as the spin cycle of a washing machine flings water and clothes to the outside of the wash tub. As fluid is flung to the outside, a vacuum is created that draws more fluid in at the center.

The fluid then enters the blades of the turbine, which is connected to the transmission. The turbine causes the transmission to spin, which basically moves your car.

So, in reality, you do have some pressure engaging the engine to the clutches in a transmission but when you put it in neutral, the idle steps up slightly under a no load condition, then when dropped into gear, it will engage the clutches. So question is, is the wear in gear at idle more detrimental than in neutral then dropping back into gear? IMO, there is more wear produced by shifting back and forth than leaving it in gear all the time because of the dis engagement/engagement process.

Bob, it's very good of you to post articles like the one above. I have a rudimentary understanding of the automatic transmission and an article like that aids my understanding. I know you have those here who know all that stuff, but personally, I appreciate your coming on with something of that order. Thank you. krholm

quote:

Originally posted by krholm:
Bob, it's very good of you to post articles like the one above. I have a rudimentary understanding of the automatic transmission and an article like that aids my understanding. I know you have those here who know all that stuff, but personally, I appreciate your coming on with something of that order. Thank you. krholm

Thanks for the kind words. It also gets me into thinking of things I normally wouldn't so actually it helps me as well.
cheers.gif

I don't car much about auto trannies because I will never own one, but I have heard that idling in neutral or P with the auto tranny available in my car is a good way to blow them. Don't know if it's true for all autos.

I only put it in neutral when the engine doesn't run right. Coasting in neutral with an automatic with the engine off is a good way to burn up the transmission since the pump is run from the engine side.
On a manual trans, you might save a little on the throw-out bearing by putting it in neutral, but add a little wear to the clutch from ever engagement.

i only put my car in neutral if my engine is a little low on idle or if im at a very very long light. usually i keep my foot on the brake though and keep it in drive. if it turns green all of a sudden i dont want to be in a rush, slam on the gas and then pop it into drive...that will damage the trannie...im not sure if the trannie is damaged when the car is stopped...i think the manufacturers know that the car is going to be stopped at lights. maybe there is damage but it is very very minimal. but im no expert on trannies...i do what i feel is best for my car. hehe as long as i change the fluids then im fine.

I used to put it in N when stopped but quit doing that unless stopped for a really long time or if the temp guage is indicating real hot.

The fluid friction when stopped in gear is a normal operating condition and the tranny can run for days that way without damage. Disengaging and engaging "D" is definitely excrcising a "wear item" in the tranny and should not be done unecessarily.

In any case, don't idle in PARK for extended periods. In many automatics, fluid is not circulated through the entire system in PARK.
In NEUTRAL more of the transmission stays lubed.
fruit.gif

quote:

Originally posted by bubba:
in hot weather if iam idaling for more than 60 seconds i shift to neutral.

Really, you're doing more harm than good. The only time it might be a good decision would be moving to park if your brakes are overheated and you're waiting on a hill. Might save you from warped/cracked rotors.

David

Posted by Ed: ""The fluid friction when stopped in gear is a normal operating condition and the tranny can run for days that way without damage. Disengaging and engaging "D" is definitely excrcising a "wear item" in the tranny and should not be done unecessarily.""

I agree with Ed on this. I used to shift into N at stoplights, but no more, after reading this thread.....

Posted by Ed: ""The fluid friction when stopped in gear is a normal operating condition and the tranny can run for days that way without damage. Disengaging and engaging "D" is definitely excrcising a "wear item" in the tranny and should not be done unecessarily.""

I agree with Ed and Bob on this. I used to shift into N at stoplights, but no more, after reading this thread.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back