Do You "Prime" Your Oil Filters Before Installing Them ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by SlavaB
Any scientific proofs that you still need to prefill? Every modern spin on I've seen has a "don't prime/prefill" instruction on it. I don't believe that an engine benefits from this ritual, there is enough of oil film left on the components when you drain the oil

Winner, winner chicken dinner. You Sir, are correct. I've owned many vehicles and changed the oil on all of them and never done this and never had a problem.

Originally Posted by Toros
Originally Posted by wemay
I don't think it makes a difference either way. I just never do it.

Precisely.
Not.

Yep, I do. My F250 and E350 (RV) have the same 6.9L IDI engine, where the filter is almost completely vertically, so I almost completely fill the filter.

I can't do so as easily on my Onan generator, it's filter goes on completely horizontally. I still add enough to soak into the filter however, so it's perhaps 1/5 filled at most.

Both of my vehicles have vertical filter mounts, base up, so I do pre-fill them with fresh oil before installing. Horizontal mount does allow for some priming, but I wouldn't go more than 1/3 full and you have to keep it rotating as you install so it doesn't start pouring out before the gasket makes contact. Priming the filter isn't necessary -- it's not mentioned in any owner's manual that I am aware of. But it's sure nice to see the oil light go out quickly after a service and not having to wait 5-7 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back