do you prime your fuel pump before you start it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any advantage to keeping your key in the on position for a few seconds so the fuel pump primes? on my f150 sometimes it will crank a little longer before it fires if i don't prime it. i see plenty of cars though that the owners just crank it immediately, what do you do

I ALWAYS let it prime... and.. ALWAYS first shift it to Reverse for at least 2-3 seconds, on the first drive of the day or if it's been sitting (even if not going in reverse)... Supposedly in reverse, transmission fluid (and others) flow more rapidly and lubricate all parts quicker.

I used to have to.. I had a 97 Saturn (the only year with the problem) with a defective FPR and the only way the car would start was to let it prime for a while before cranking. If not, it would crank sometimes literally for 10 seconds.

Interestingly my "bulldog" remote starter primed for about two seconds by default out of the box.

Never do I prime or let my WRX warm up. I just drive off easy and out of boost until it warms up.

There is absolutely no advantage to letting the fuel pump prime on my Sierra. The engine starts up in a second or two and priming doesn't make it start up any quicker.

I have a kill switch under the seat that cuts off the fuel pump. Occasionaly I will forget to turn the switch on and start the engine. When I notice the engine begin to stumble I reach under the seat and turn the kill switch back on and the engine responds immediately. I would say that not more than a fifth of a second elapses between my turning on the switch and the engine running normally. It takes that long to turn the key from 'Ign' to 'Start'. So, in my case, priming doesn't help at all.

Never even thought of it. Is it to pressurize the system? I have replaced my under-hood fuel filter and there appears to be pressure even without priming. Regardless, no issues starting on either car and I turn key and drive in all weather and have 130,000 miles trouble free and 67,000 miles trouble free.

ref

I always manually prime the fuel system in both cars when replacing fuel filters or I have opened the system for any reason. Hook up the Mity-Vac and pump away until I get clear fuel with no bubbles in it, then crank it right up.

Granted, diesels are a 'special case' as the pumps are lubricated by fuel alone but it's still a good practice to always do so.

I'm not sure I understand this. The pump is obviously primed when you shut it off. The fuel pump is totally submerged in fuel. So how does the fuel pump LOSE it's prime under those conditions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back