Do You Prefer A 2 Cycle Or 4 Cycle Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Wet grass or low compression in my eyewitness accounts. I wished something simple like an air filter was the culprit.

or the "insert XYZ safety organization mandated reduced RPM for consumer safety"

I had a girlfirend a while back that bought a new Toro self-propelled that was gutless - RPM was less than 2000! I "modified" the governor and it began to cut like a mower should.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Chainsaw, leaf blower, weed trimmer, small single stage snowblower: 2-stroke

Mowers and any larger equipment: 4-stroke

I like how 2-strokes are powerful for their weight/size so they are perfect for handheld equipment.

^^^
01.gif

STihl 041 Farmboss is 42 yrs old. When I was young and strong it cut 4-5cords a yr of white oak tor heat. It will start by the 5th pull if it has something in the tank. I have had a set of points hanging somewhere in the shop for it . Gotta get worse than 5 pulls before they get located. My only mod was to run a 32;1 mix from the get go.. Its a beast with ZERO safety or vibration damping. 30 yrs ago , I adopted the run a tank a day only. My father's Sears Poulan corded is a pretty good little saw for trimming. That WORX line of 'lecrics looks prty good.for yard work. Light,quiet, smoother running. Efficient firewood production requires a work station. Perfect for an electric saw.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by totegoat
My 2-stroke leaf blower is a necessary evil.

why they make 4-stroke ones or battery?

Originally Posted by andyd
all my hand held OPE is 2 stroke. I have a 31 yr old Lawnboy that makes me grin when I use it.
grin2.gif

Same here. I mow every time with either my 44 year old Lawn Boy 5024 Bricktop, or my 46 year old Lawn Boy 7262. Start up every time on either the first or second pull.

L8R,
Matt

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Wet grass or low compression in my eyewitness accounts. I wished something simple like an air filter was the culprit.

or the "insert XYZ safety organization mandated reduced RPM for consumer safety"

I had a girlfirend a while back that bought a new Toro self-propelled that was gutless - RPM was less than 2000! I "modified" the governor and it began to cut like a mower should.

Yup, I've seen a lot of mowers mainly big box store models come in that are running barely above idle, and the customer thinks it has a major issue because it stalls out in thicker grass. One quick tweak using a tach and they are good to go. I usually set them around 3000-3100 RPM. That seems to be the best for blade speed, fuel economy, and if it is self propelled not making the self propel so fast that it's unusable.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Chainsaw, leaf blower, weed trimmer, small single stage snowblower: 2-stroke

Mowers and any larger equipment: 4-stroke

I like how 2-strokes are powerful for their weight/size so they are perfect for handheld equipment.

Pretty much this ^^^
Lately I cut easy jobs with a new Worx electric chainsaw to save wear on my Stihl … liked the saw and quiet ops
Like 4S boat motors too.

The battery powered saws and weed trimmers are great. I recommend them to a lot of my customers who are homeowners that use them sparingly. Much easier maintenance compared to any gas powered equipment if it sits a majority of the time. Or if they prefer gas I recommend the tru-fuel non-ethanol pre-mix if the machine is used infrequently. There aren't many (if any) ethanol free stations here.

Why a two stroke mower? Because its the best engine for the job. The power to weight cannot be matched by any four stroke, and it makes self propelled look like the rigmarole it is. Lawn Boy mowers with self propel are the least sought after for this reason, and I always believed Lawn Boy only made self propelled models because the competition had them, and it you ever mowed with a push Lawn Boy you know what I am talking about.

2T for me. Later Toro had the best self propelled. Lawnboys self propelled was poor with the friction wheel. The old C type engines with the horizontal pull had a variable speed until it froze up but they were still poor. I think the D engine lawnboys (green brick top) were best, but I do not know if the primer cup exists in alcohol compatible version any more. The F engine is much heaver for not much more power, and the electronic ignitions fail every 6 to 10 years. The steel muffler will rust out too. D engine points last much longer and the cast aluminum mufflers never fail.
Yep, 2 cycle all the way.
Rod

I have a Duraforce Lawn-Boy push model, I think 10247, I bought when I bought my first house. It has a broken governor spring and needs new wheels. Was a great mower. I now live on 5 acres and no longer need or use it.

Well for large garden tractors, I definitely prefer 4 cycle engines.... But for most other things like saws, trimmers etc I always buy 2 cycles, so much easier to maintain.

For light weight and extra power 2 stroke. It also has become the most efficient engine type there is. Simple and less parts to deal with, cheaper to manufacture etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back