Do you know MOTOREX engine oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I live in Switzerland and I use a Swiss synthetic (blend?) oil from the brand MOTOREX. The oil is the Select SP-X 5W40. Do you know anything about Motorex and this oil? Is it a GroupIV, III......good or not? Ican't choose between this oil and Castrol Magnatec 10W40.

welcome.gif
Kilou. I have never heard of
this oil here in North America. I would
stick with the big names ie) Castrol,Mobil
Motul etc.

Of the two I'd select the Motorex .

It's a A3/B4 , B3 API SL/CF , 502/505 , MB229.3 ,BMW LL-98 , GM-LL-B-025 rated oil .

Synthetisches it is
smile.gif

Can you get the full syn FS-X 5w-40 where you live ?

How about the B-XL 0w-30 ?

There's a bike shop near me that carries this oil. They have many different motorcycle products like filter oil, trans oil and chain lubes made by Motorex.

The motor oils are Jaso-Ma approved.

kilou,

If Magnatec were vollsynthetisch I'd say for sure go with it; it is A3/B3. Select is vollsynthetisch but I didn't see any ACEA specs for it. It is near the bottom of the Motorex product line. All this is to say it is probably a toss-up. You might want to move up a notch to Xperience, or if you use long drain intervals, Profile.

Cheers.

In fact, Castrol Magnatec is almost surely a synthetic blend because it is called Castrol GTX Magntec so it should be based on the mineral GTX. Moreover the price of that oil is quite inexpensive so I assume it has a large part of mineral base stocks. I've also heard clogging problems with this oil (huigh ash content).

Concerning Motorex, there is some misinterpretation about the nature of their oil. The lower end is Topaz line which is called a semi-synthetic. The Select SP-X is called a synthetic performance oil while higher end oils such as the Profile M-XL are called Full synthetic! For me synthetic performance means that it is a synthetic blend with good performance while semi-synthetic is also a synthetic blend with lower synthetic base stocks perhaps. So I assume my Select SP-X oil is NOT a full synthetic oil. The problem with going with full synthetic oils is that those are not available with 10W indexes at least in Switzerland. My engine is now quite old and I don't want to pour 5W or 0W inside anymore.

quote:

Originally posted by kilou:
The problem with going with full synthetic oils is that those are not available with 10W indexes at least in Switzerland. My engine is now quite old and I don't want to pour 5W or 0W inside anymore.

Do you have consumption problems? Otherwise the age of the engine would not bother me RE: 0W or 5W oils, especially if it were a 0W40 or 5W50.

Yes but on the other hand, when I bought my car in 1997, do you know what the dealer proposed me? It was Castrol SLX (full synthetic) 0W30 and I ran that oil without any problem up to 120'000km. In fact I only had one problem with that oil. It was a leak, but not an oil leak, it was my money that was leaking from the purse
smile.gif

So even if the manual recommends 10W oils, I assume it is also possible to use 5W or 0W. However I'm concerned because my engine is old now so the clearance must be quite large and maybe a 0W or 5W is too thin. On the other hand, any oil will have a lower viscosity at operating temerature so I assume a 40 when hot is thinner than a 0W when cold. In other words, a low viscosity when cold shouldn't do any damage because of a thin oil film as this film will always remain thicker compared to operating temperature.......do you know what I mean?

quote:

Yes but on the other hand, when I bought my car in 1997, do you know what the dealer proposed me? It was Castrol SLX (full synthetic) 0W30 and I ran that oil without any problem up to 120'000km.
smile.gif

SLX...NOW you are talking!!!!!
grin.gif

quote:

So even if the manual recommends 10W oils, I assume it is also possible to use 5W or 0W. However I'm concerned because my engine is old now so the clearance must be quite large and maybe a 0W or 5W is too thin. On the other hand, any oil will have a lower viscosity at operating temerature so I assume a 40 when hot is thinner than a 0W when cold. In other words, a low viscosity when cold shouldn't do any damage because of a thin oil film as this film will always remain thicker compared to operating temperature.......do you know what I mean?

I understand what you are saying. Too bad the SLX is so expensive for you...obviously it gave you great service. That is what I use in my Audi but, of course, it is cheaper here.

Also it's good, the SLX is "only" an SAE 30 when hot and this may have been too thin because I mainly drive on highways and often go to Spain where the temperatute is pretty hot. I'm not sure it was the right oil for these conditions but my engine still perfomrs well.

So you think Motorex Xperience 5W40 full synthetic may be good?

quote:

Also it's good, the SLX is "only" an SAE 30 when hot and this may have been too thin because I mainly drive on highways and often go to Spain where the temperatute is pretty hot. I'm not sure it was the right oil for these conditions but my engine still perfomrs well.

So you think Motorex Xperience 5W40 full synthetic may be good?

kilou,

This is the first time I recall hearing about MOTOREX, so I won't act like I "know" it. I suggested Xperience because it was further up their product line on their website and was a vollsynthetisch. I would look at the specs and see if it is A3 rated as I suspect that is what your car takes. The only Motorex product that is approved by Mercedes is Motorex Profil M-XL 5W-30 and it has Mercedes' "highest" rating: 229.5 (stays in grade and can go longest service interval). Trips between Switzerland and Spain...now that is nice! I've been to both but have never driven between the two.
cheers.gif

[ June 19, 2004, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

No specific oil consumption problem but I've had some hydraulic lifters noise and I've been told this may be due to too thin oil when cold (thin oil would not have the same film strenght than thicker oil...). As my engine is "designed" to use 10W30, 10W40 or 15W40 oils, I do not know if going to 5W or 0W is a good idea for wear concerns

It is usually wise to go with what the engineers had in mind when they developed the engine, with the understanding that they MIGHT have recommended a 0W or 5W had they been available at the time. Absent an assurance that the latter is the case, you are very wise to go with OEM recommmendations.

Pscholte, pretty all Motorex oils are certified by Mercedes. If you go on www.motorex.ch, you can download pdf files for each oil categories (Select, Xperience...). For example the oil I use now (Select SP-X 5W40) has following certifications:

ACEA A3/ B4, B3
API SL/CF
VW 502 00/ 505 00
MB 229.3
BMW LL-98
GM-LL-B-025
Porsche

On the other hand the Select SP-X 10W40 lacks the BMW, GM and Porsche certification and the Mercedes spec is MB 229.1 rather than MB 229.3.

Now if I go up in the range and select the Xperience FS-X 5W40 (fully synthetic), it has the SAME certifications than Select SP-X 5W40 but it lacks only the GM certifications. The Mercedes certification of the Xperience FS-X 5W40 is the same (MB 229.3) as the Select SP-X 5W40.

So I assume the Select SP-X 5W40 (not fully synthetic) should be really good as it has the same specs compared to higher rated oils (Xperience) + it has the GM certifications. However going with the 10W40 might not be a good idea since there is a "gap" in specifications between Select SP-X 5W40 and 10W40........

What do you think of this?

I see that this thread is over 10 years old (!), but does anyone have any experience with FS-X 5W-40?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back