Do you have your home HVAC system maintained?

I always replace my start capacitors ever 2 years on a heat pump, and 4 years on residential AC. I use election years, when the commercials get really bad I need something else to do. You can not overlook it.. That is also when I change my brake, radiator, transmission and differential fluids. Trust me it is WAY more relaxing to be dealing with frozen brake bleeders. This year doing struts and strut bearings. Whoo hoo.

Rod

I do my own maintenance on the same HVAC unit for the past 30 years. This would be filters, oiling, cleaning, and new glow ignitors when they go bad, which averages 7 years. There have only been two repairs, which I could handle.

The humidifier has needed a lot more attention than the HVAC.

I have yet to replace a start capacitor.

I do all of my HVAC maintenance myself since that's what we do. My system is 20 years old and shows no sign of quitting. Keeping the outside condensing coil clean really helps the efficiency of the unit and extends the life of the equipment. I also check the run capacitor every spring with a meter to make sure it is within spec. and clean any cobwebs out of the service cabinet. Most of the time if your outside condensing unit won't run it is a problem with the capacitor or contactor. There are some great videos on YouTube showing you how to safely check and clean your own system.

If you have around an 16-20 degree difference between intake and outgoing air at your evaporator, your system is working fine. I do keep my coils and drain holes clean on my outdoor unit every couple of months and make sure the outdoor unit is level and not leaning. After shutting system down in the fall, I clean the condensate pump for next season.

Last edited:
Nope

I had it professionally installed. I change the filter.

I'm an HVAC engineer. When it stops working, I get it serviced. There's nothing to maintain except the filter.

Nope, they’ll just want to upsell on stuff. I hose it out twice a year and spray some coil cleaner in there.

Previous thread revival, but relevant to the heating season. I do basic maintenance and repairs. On older heaters it's important to remember that heat exchangers should be inspected for cracks. On the same note, it is dumb not to have Carbon Monoxide detectors in your home.

I have an inspection in Spring and Fall.

My system (heat pump) was new as of ~2.5 years ago and company doing install provided 1 year free maintenance. Once that expired they had a buy 4 years get 3 years free type deal or something like that, I only took the bait because it then adds labor coverage to any of the manufacturer parts warranties for as long as I keep the service contract. It ended up being ~$500 for the extra 7 years of maintenance (and labor warranty) but figure if compressor takes a dump it will pay for itself - and I get 2 visits per year to do routine inspection.

I have two heat pump systems and have a service contract. Systems still under factory warranty. I am told without a service contract you will wait awhile if system needs service when it's super hot out and the companies are very busy.

I bought an older home in 1996 and the HVAC was very old … brand not even around. Installed an HE Heil. That unit was great … ran an old style thermostat … never needed anything …
About 5 years ago I decided to proactively change it to a two stage higher SEER Comfortmaker (CM) and digital control. On the CM we took a service contract & they have been here many times trying to balance cooling, heating, and humidity … we went through 3 CM Observer controls … 1st was free and then negotiated … Then they said we needed more fresh air … also negotiated price. Still can’t hold steady numbers.
So they just installed an ecobee control … and moved it from hallway to living room … hoping it does better …

Back