Do you guys regularly clean the throttle body?

I think you are trying to avoid the inevitable. Walnut shells, here I come.
lol you are probably right but at 201k miles I pulled the intake and everything looked great! Other cars that come to my shop look all carboned up by 50-70k mile range so my process is working anyhow.

old mpfi engines don't seem to get very dirty, and with cable throttles and separate iac valves don't seem to care if they do get dirty. it also depends on the design of the intake, if the pcv comes out before/close to the throttle body they seem to get dirty faster than the intakes where the pcv is on the far end of the intake from the throttle body.

old mpfi engines don't seem to get very dirty, and with cable throttles and separate iac valves don't seem to care if they do get dirty. it also depends on the design of the intake, if the pcv comes out before/close to the throttle body they seem to get dirty faster than the intakes where the pcv is on the far end of the intake from the throttle body.
My 4.6 2005 Vic MPI engine went over 300K miles without any throttle body cleaning. So far have not needed any throttle body cleaning on my 2016 5.3 [DI] 150K mile Tahoe.

I never had any problem with TB in any of my car. The ones I though might be trouble turned out to be MAF sensor and intake valve deposits, the TB look clean in both of them.

On my wife’s Equinox, a 2.4 Ecotec, I removed the throttle body, and cleaned it separate. Really the best way to do, if you are able.

Always observe the "if it aint broke dont fix it theory of auto maintenance".

Reactions: D60
On the Mini the throttle body is tucked down behind the engine by the firewall. I will take it off the manifold and clean it, and change the gasket for a couple of bucks when I do the walnut blasting. Since it’s direct injection I give it a blast now annually to keep the carbon buildup at bay. The Mini purrs like a kitten, unlike how it came to me years ago. So I can’t attribute all of its performance to a clean throttle.

Back