Do you guys regularly clean the throttle body?

Do you guys regularly clean the throttle body in your car? How often?

Just wondering. It’s never been on my radar. I’ve run a few vehicles to 200k without troubles. Mostly Toyotas. But now I’ve seen some YouTube videos where people recommend it. What say you? Is it worth doing?

Thanks!

On my 07 accord with a 2.4 engine I would do it every 25 to 30000 miles..Easy to do on the accord...

Did it at 120k on my truck for an idle issue. and at 220k on my Camry, again for an idle issue. Not sure how often it needs to be done, i figure, if it was important it’d be on the maintenance schedule.

Every time I've looked at an ETM of mine it's been clean.....over about 35 cars.

I need to inspect my Ranger's ETM. It's a low use vehicle but oil fumes are in the PCV system upon shutdown so some buildup is inevitable.
Squirt on rag, rub.

All the time on everything. Nothing scheduled, but if I'm under the hood and checking the air filter it's likely I'll give it a spray.

I never did but my old Corolla was running a little rough at 200k miles so I clean the TB. It was filthy. Maybe a good idea to clean it every 100k miles.

Wipe down the TB on the wifes 08 Malibu 3.6 every oil change, have to remove the intake tube that runs around the front of the engine to get to the oil filter from the top.
1652323485589.jpg

I only do this if I have a reason to. Last one I did was on a 2000 Camry with the 4 cylinder engine. Did it in 2021 at around 165K miles. Definitely needed it, but main reason for doing it was that the IAC was dirty and the best way to clean it was to just take the whole thing off and take everything apart.

I'll add to the question. Has anyone that's done it ever seen any measurable difference in performance? I'd like to know how a dirty TB would present on a scantool
Funky fuel trims are a definite possibility, or obviously codes for electronic throttle control

Uh, I think you missed the point. Reason to use throttle body cleaner is that it doesn't harm plastics or the coating on the T.B. to prevent deposit or crud build up. Just saying...
That's what I thought. It's carb cleaner that can allegedly strip the "non stick coating". I've never heard of tb cleaner harming plastics, but maybe???

Here FTM says use tb cleaner, not carb cleaner. He later even uses a "soft bristle brush" which would make me a bit nervous. I've only ever used the aerosol along with a soft rag or paper towel

Here at about :40 he discusses some things affected by throttle angle

I'll add to the question. Has anyone that's done it ever seen any measurable difference in performance? I'd like to know how a dirty TB would present on a scantool
Performance ? No, but on my car it would occasionally "stumble" when coming to a stop and the RPMs would drop to 400-500 (??) and then catch itself. Cleaning the throttle bodies made that problem go away.

He later even uses a "soft bristle brush" which would make me a bit nervous. I've only ever used the aerosol along with a soft rag or paper towel
Apparently some TBs have a coating that could be damaged by anything more abrasive so err on the side of caution and just use cloth or paper towels.

Back