Do you grease your car hinges?

I have been using Dumonde Tech, a bicycle chain lube, with good results for a couple of years. The product goes on thin like oil and gets drawn in by capillary action, then it dries and leaves a plastic-like protective layer on the metal parts. It doesn't wash off and doesn't attract dirt and I wipe off excess anyway. I think I may try this lube also on the deployable rear spoiler mechanism's pivots.

Last edited:
Yes, i always have an oil can handy when i service my car and i put a drop on every hinge and linkage and wipe the excess off with a rag. I like to squirt some more in places with pinch welds while at it! I use clean motor oil or ATF, it doesn't matter. I avoid the gross and smelly stuff like used oil or gear oil.

I do now (especially on the coupes), but I use motor oil and not grease. I drain out the cling from bottles of new oil into a "triggered" oil can (named "Karen").

The driver's door on the Legend is starting to sag and drag on the latch hook; the doors on the Camaro aren't sagging yet but are ultra heavy. Maybe one of these kits is in its future:

If one lives in a dusty area grease and oil will attract sand,grit and dust resulting in an abrasive compound between the two surfaces and over time create wear. If oil is used gravity will allow the oil to grain out of the hinges. It is much better to use a dry lube. Wd40 is a great product but in my opinion based on experence not a great lubricant.

I have an old bottle or tube of the CV2 from Redline oil that I use on parts that either are too cold the lubricate with oil or on hinges such as what you described on your automobile. Works really well I think and the red looks cool

I don’t think so… haven’t had much of a problem.

I do try to put some white lithium grease onto the… slide? stop? whatever the plastic part is that my Toyota’s have in the door, with detents for holding the door part way open.

Back