Do you ever MISS car work?

I do, especially when it’s -11 and the wind is blowing, so I can’t work on cars. Even my garage is no warmer than 10 in this weather.

However, once I start working on one I get sick of it pretty quick. It really depends on how quickly I need the car, or if we have a time crunch as to how soon I get sick of it.

The satisfaction when done though is a great feeling. My wife has seen ads for repairs and understands how much money I save us.

Three little kids in the house means I am pretty much in a rush all the time. It’s why my Jeep will probably be on jackstands for a couple years, until I can enjoy doing an engine swap and not feel rushed. Those three kids are why I have a car loan instead of an older car. I was wrenching at least one weekend a month to keep a fleet of cars well over 100,000 miles rolling. We had 3 at the time, not including my 252k mile Jeep. Now, outside of oil changes, I don’t hardly touch a car other than washing it, which I enjoy a lot more than wrenching.

I feel your pain!

There are times where I miss tinkering with stuff in the garage, but they are usually small engine projects. Working on cars (not maintenance, but when stuff is actually broken) is usually a pain because it is inconvenient and usually needs to be fixed in a timely manner. My small engine projects aren't really critical, so it is more relaxing to putt around with something that you can stop working on and pick up any time. Spring and fall are usually my favorite wrenching times, because you can throw on a sweatshirt and be perfectly comfortable. Summer can be annoying getting drenched in sweat trying to just change your oil, and while I have a propane heater in the garage, it can take some motivation to get out there and get everything set up in the cold.

There are times where I miss tinkering with stuff in the garage, but they are usually small engine projects. Working on cars (not maintenance, but when stuff is actually broken) is usually a pain because it is inconvenient and usually needs to be fixed in a timely manner. My small engine projects aren't really critical, so it is more relaxing to putt around with something that you can stop working on and pick up any time. Spring and fall are usually my favorite wrenching times, because you can throw on a sweatshirt and be perfectly comfortable. Summer can be annoying getting drenched in sweat trying to just change your oil, and while I have a propane heater in the garage, it can take some motivation to get out there and get everything set up in the cold.
Yeah, unless there is a chainsaw you need really bad to cut some fire wood with. Been there before.

I don't miss one bit. I don't mind oil changes on a Saturday morning I like picking my oil n filter. Anything else zero interest . Back when I had my business with 2 vans 2 cutaways on the road I had to wrench at night needed them on the road next morning.

Back