Do you ever MISS car work?

Got my valve spring tool yesterday and can't wait to use it, but it's 29° and dropping plus the wind is blowing pretty strong. Maybe I can do 5 minutes at a time between warm-ups inside.

I don't miss working on anything outside in cold, snowy, rainy crappy weather. And its only marginally enjoyable if its not a car you need to use, and can be done at a nice slow pace. If you miss it go buy some old junker as a project.
Did a brake job in 20* weather outside once, never again but it had to be done. A warm shop with a lift, great lighting, PPE, plenty of tools at hand? Oh yeah!

I think I enjoy the memories of the succesful moments - when the big job is done and you get the reward. but I’m rarely feeling it for the duration of the time the job takes now. Somewhere along the way I figured it out.

there are still days when the planets align, the weather is perfect, and the art of using my hands for a mindless oil change are true high points. I try to aim maintenance towards those moments.

This happens to me sometimes. I will find myself looking for a project to do on one of the cars. Of course, when something does actually need to be fixed, I start cursing at the 'cheap Chinese parts' or the 'bonehead engineers'

There is no pleasing me. God bless my wife. :LOL:

I'm afraid the next time I need to do something that my back won't let me. I did manage a tire rotation recently but I had to sit down on the floor of the garage to lift the wheels back onto the lugs. I'll have to be very careful. I have lumbar spondylosis.

I'm afraid the next time I need to do something that my back won't let me. I did manage a tire rotation recently but I had to sit down on the floor of the garage to lift the wheels back onto the lugs. I'll have to be very careful. I have lumbar spondylosis.
If you watch mechanics work on light or heavy truck wheels, they often will use a tire iron or prybar to lift the wheel up. Not man handling the wheel.

Me, I plop my fat rear down on the ground. If its a light wheel, I can pick up, otherwise i will rest my forearms on my knees and push down at my elbows, to try to use it as a fulcrum. Much less back work.

I never miss it because I do it all day everyday lol. Some days it’s good and you love it other days you are ready to say you’ve had it and think you never work on a car again lol. Fortunately I haven’t had a bad day in awhile. My coworker did yesterday when he snapped a tap off in a cylinder head. Most days I’m craving to get more work cause I love what I do. And I’d never let anyone touch one of my cars I do all the work to it except state inspections because we can’t do our own. Most of my cars are old but don’t require much work which is good but not good when I’m craving work lol.

Nope. Not at all. I'll do it if I don't trust someone else to do it the way I want, or if people I trust are too backed up with other work, but honestly I don't look forward to car repairs or even maintenance.

I used to not mind it as much, and sometimes even liked it if I felt confident about what I was doing, but now it's an annoyance. Even though I don't turn wrenches for a living, I deal with all the in-between problems on the parts side, so at the end of the day I just want my own vehicles to work with minimal hassle.

What I really hate is dealing with fluids at home. I know some people are perfect and never spill a drop, but I do. I hate fluids. I'd rather take a door panel off or replace a top side domestic truck alternator than do an oil change.

Scheduled maintenance on a Saturday in nice weather? Yes.

Unplanned repair on a winter Sunday afternoon facing a setting sun and stress to get the car fixed before needing it the next day for work? No.

I drive vehicles older than what I can afford and I’ve never had a car loan. Auto mechanics is my hobby. It’s really satisfying to fix something and have that feel of independence from consumerism. Luckily my wife wife is pretty understanding about it. I keep three vehicles for the two of us, so I don’t get stressed if one sits in the garage waiting for parts. Also, I work from home a lot but my wife commutes 30 miles. The third vehicle is a 73 Ford Maverick two door with a 302. It’s not pristine but I still take it to local car shows. People are typically attracted to it. The younger ones ask me what it is.

I drive vehicles older than what I can afford and I’ve never had a car loan. Auto mechanics is my hobby. It’s really satisfying to fix something and have that feel of independence from consumerism. Luckily my wife wife is pretty understanding about it. I keep three vehicles for the two of us, so I don’t get stressed if one sits in the garage waiting for parts. Also, I work from home a lot but my wife commutes 30 miles. The third vehicle is a 73 Ford Maverick two door with a 302. It’s not pristine but I still take it to local car shows. People are typically attracted to it. The younger ones ask me what it is.
Wow - my dad had the Merc sister with the 302 …

I never miss it because I do it all day everyday lol. Some days it’s good and you love it other days you are ready to say you’ve had it and think you never work on a car again lol. Fortunately I haven’t had a bad day in awhile. My coworker did yesterday when he snapped a tap off in a cylinder head. Most days I’m craving to get more work cause I love what I do. And I’d never let anyone touch one of my cars I do all the work to it except state inspections because we can’t do our own. Most of my cars are old but don’t require much work which is good but not good when I’m craving work lol.
You're in the honeymoon period. Quit before you're 40 to save your body.

Most people burn out of a particular trade after around a decade, so network and keep some other doors half open.

But enjoy every day you enjoy!

Yes. We have a week old newborn so my garage time is pretty much zero at the moment. At this point even 1 hour just tinkering around with something would be fantastic.

Mine are two and four now. I haven't been able to regularly clean my car since the first was born. Oil changes are always inconvenient. Preventive maintenance is a nightmare to fit in. I only ever really get to do anything when something breaks.

Drives me insane.

Mine are two and four now. I haven't been able to regularly clean my car since the first was born. Oil changes are always inconvenient. Preventive maintenance is a nightmare to fit in. I only ever really get to do anything when something breaks.

Drives me insane.
I just bring the kids outside with me.

You haven't lived until you have laid in mud puddles to remove a transmission or work on a piece of heavy equipment, broke the ice layer in a 5 gallon bucket to rinse off your hands. And yes mechanic ing in below freezing weather in a non heated shop with no bay doors. Most have no idea what it is like. Not fun waking up knowing that is what your day will be at work.

Back